I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cleaning EVA Handles
Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2011 11:06PM

Got a little too excited with the epoxy... i don't mean to be rude, but im not very impressed with this flexcoat rod epoxy glue. it looks like it holds fine but very runny and gets ALL OVER THE PLACE.....
Im kind of a newbie, so maybe its my fault. Anyhow, i just did these blue EVA handles and i got the stuff all over it... what should i use to clean it all off(THE BEST STUFF). i got some on the blank too... all help is appreciated...
Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cleaning EVA Handles
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 17, 2011 12:33AM

Denatured alcohol will remove the epoxy as long as it doesn't set up.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 17, 2011 01:02AM

Use Rod Bond to install grips and seats. It's thicker and not so messy. Most of the Sponsors on the left will have it.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 17, 2011 03:30AM

Gabe, wehn the rod is finished bring it back here and I'll sand it to clean it up. DNA will clean it, as will aceone, problem is it will probably discolor the blue. Not a big deal, you can also use the sanding kit you dind't buy to get the grips back to normal color.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 17, 2011 08:53AM

If it is set try heating with a hair dryer and gently scrap with a dull knife or your thumb nail Then alcohol.
Like Billy said a light sanding will clean it well

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 17, 2011 10:08AM

The Flex Coat epoxy is a liquid. It must be handled as such. Products such as RodBond, Ultimate Gel or ProBond are gels and tend to stay where you put them. However, you can easily make a mess with them, too, if you're not careful.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 17, 2011 11:52AM

Gabe,

I found that it takes some preparation and careful planning if you are going to use the liquid epoxy. I use Flex Coat's liquid epoxy quite a bit and I love the stuff. I've also started using the Rod Bond 'gel' at times. Both do a fine job.

jeremy

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2011 12:55PM

Gabe,
You might give Goof Off a try. This cleaner works quite well for problems of this sort.

Roger

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: January 18, 2011 01:39PM

Another hint. A while back I was reading a hint book on other uses for PAM (the cooking spray ) It can be used as a lubricant and a cleaner. Next time you are gluing Eva foam try spraying some Pam on a rag and wiping the outside of the grip. Be careful do the spaying outside and not in a work area you do not want those contaminates floating around. Then when everything is dried use a little soap and water to clean up. Some builders have reactions to Acetone and Denatured Alcohol. So this may be an alternative.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2011 11:25PM

Thanks guys.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster