I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides for copper wire line
Posted by: Tony Childs (---.196.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: January 16, 2011 02:36PM

I have been building copper rods for the past three years now with very good success. In the effort to build an ever better mousetrap, I am working to reduce or hopefully eliminate the biggest issue with all rods used for copper. The knot used to join the copper to mono or floro (normally an albright, twist, or variations of both) stubbs into the guide rings during the letting out of line and worse when retrieving line under load with a fish. I have been using all of the standard casting and boat rod guides and the only thing that seems to make less of this issue is guides that have a large frontal radius. Thin guide rings magnify this issue obviously. I was thinking about using something like the Stainless wire frame boat rod guides but am worried about the durability of these "cheap" guides? Cheap is only reflecting the cost, not necessarily the quality of these guides. Obviously roller guides would eliminate this issue, but at the same time create a rod that no one wants to fish with. Basically looking for some guide suggestions with large frontal diameter rings.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides for copper wire line
Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 16, 2011 03:18PM

Just a suggestion, and don't know if it is fesable or not, but what if you covered the knot with a small piece of heat shrink tube to ease the transition thru the guides. Just favor the copper with the heat and use a very low heat to shrink.

Ron Weber

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2011 03:21PM by Ron Weber.

Date: January 16, 2011 04:12PM

Many guys do just that and it does help. I realize that there isn't a fix all guide out there and my real question is basically if the Stainless Wire boat rod guides are tough over the long haul. They tend to look "cheap" like their price suggests. Worried about the "silver sodered" joints letting go prematurely?

Date: January 16, 2011 04:54PM

I have never had a guide failure on any of my salt water rods using the stainless guides. Some of the rods are over 25 years old, but I do take very good care and handling of them.

Ron Weber

Date: January 16, 2011 05:46PM

Thanks Ron, that was kind of what I was getting at with that long winded preamble. The ones that MH carries by Pac Bay?

Date: January 16, 2011 05:59PM

That would be the ones

Ron Weber

Date: January 16, 2011 08:13PM

Thanks Ron

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: January 17, 2011 10:12AM

Carmet or the old Carb-Alloy guides are what are commonly used for wireline here in the NE. I am very old-fashioned but small barrel swivels and even flat swivels have worked good for me.

Those guides are not beautiful but durable as heck.

Date: January 17, 2011 05:14PM

The biggest problem and the reason I did not recommend to Carmet or Carbide style guides is that they are harder, but susceptale to breaking if struck very hard. Also the 2 dis-similar metals are harder to get a good bond when silver soldering them. Do not get me wrong, many of my offshore rods have the carbaloy tips on them for durability, but the attaching points are more than just on each side of the ring.

Ron Weber

Date: January 17, 2011 07:36PM

I use SN II guides for stainless wire. The copper isn't abrasive at all, so the expense of the SN guides is counter productive. On that line, the radius of the SN guides is very large and would work well with copper though.

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: January 18, 2011 01:19PM

Ron Weber Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The biggest problem and the reason I did not
> recommend to Carmet or Carbide style guides is
> that they are harder, but susceptale to breaking
> if struck very hard. Also the 2 dis-similar
> metals are harder to get a good bond when silver
> soldering them. Do not get me wrong, many of my
> offshore rods have the carbaloy tips on them for
> durability, but the attaching points are more than
> just on each side of the ring.

Hey Ron....take a look at the XBBG braced stainless.....pretty tough and inexpensive. Attached at 3 points.

Date: January 18, 2011 05:09PM

Those are basically the same as the perfection guides that I used for years, have no problem with them, just that I shy away from the carbaloy style for the above noted reasons.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster