I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Aero seat Batson forgrip?
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2011 01:15PM

I was thinking of using an American Tackle Aero reel seat and adding a Batson HEFGAEVA16C forgrip/hood assembly onto the Aero seat. Anyone know if this is compatible? Suggestions? What I'm after is hidden threads on the Aero. Or....will a fuji HPS Quick-Lock Foregrip work on the Aero?

DR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2011 02:44PM by Duane Richards (DR).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Aero seat Batson forgrip?
Posted by: Curtis Ellison (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: January 16, 2011 03:32PM

The Fuji HPS will fit. The Fuli KDPS will also fit and it looks better in my opinion.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Curtis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2011 04:10PM by Curtis Ellison.

Posted by: wayne diduch (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: January 16, 2011 04:13PM

Duane...i just did a dry fit for you ,,, the Keyway on the Batson HEFGA EVA16C is approximately half of the width of the Key on the American Tackle Aero hood. Nor is the Batson key quite as high as the Amtak. There is too much play, i personally wouldn't go with this set up Duane...too much slop. Cheers!!!....Wayne

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2011 04:24PM

Thanks Wayne!

Curtis,

Great info, looks like that's the one I'll use.

DR

Posted by: Curtis Ellison (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: January 16, 2011 04:39PM

Posted by: Todd Badgley (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2011 06:34PM

Duane -

I finished a spinning rod today with the aero seat. I "hid" the threads the same way as all my casting rods. I put the reel on the seat and locked it down, made a china mark, and with a dremel cut the threads about 1/4" to 3/8". The rod is finished and I can lock the reel down without seeing threads. Also, the lockring does not come off the threads when removing the reel.
I have had issues with the Fuji Quick Lock hood not holding the reel tight. I like the looks, but I like the lockring better. In fact, when I use the minima seat on a casting rod I cut the hood almost in half. I'm sure this is not new to you, just wanted to add my thoughts.

Todd

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2011 07:38PM

Duane,
Here is a picture of some aero reel seats and the mods that I made to some older Fugi fore grips that I had found. I am not sure if these particular fore grips are still available:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

By the way, I just finished up a batch of 4 identical rods using the aero reel seat.
When I put the rod together, I just turned the butt grip, until the grip fit nicely inside the reel seat.
Then, I used the foam arbor, but I cut the foam arbor about 3/4 inch short. I then made a cork arbor that was 3/4 inch long.
I left the cork arbor flush with the front of the reel seat. I then placed a conventional winding check against the cork arbor. The end result is a nice looking rod with the blank, winding check and then a slight band of cork visible from the front of the reel seat.
There is really no need for a conventional fore grip on the front of this reel seat and most folks like the ability to easily drop a finger on the blank as is the case with no cork in front of the reel seat. Folks have also commented that they actually prefer the threads on the reel seat since it gives them a better grip on the rod.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: January 16, 2011 09:31PM

Or a Fuji with carbon composite skin... [www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster