I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral wrap placement of guides
Posted by: sanford hochman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2011 12:12PM

I am going to build a jigging rod with a Hercules blank., and I want to do a spiral wrap. I have been noticing in chat rooms, etc. that the size of the guides have changed and a couple of smaller guides are placed at the area of the rod just before the final 3 or 4 guides are placed facing down as they do on a spinning rod. The idea is to keep the line as close to the rod blank as possible without letting the line touch the blank. I have done a few spiral wraps in the past and was satisfied with how the rods fished. Any suggestion? I fish East of Chatham, Mass, and this rod will be mainly used for tuna. It is 7' long and is #30-80. Thanks,
Sanford Hochman

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral wrap placement of guides
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2011 12:30PM

Sanford,
Start with the same size guides and placement as if you were doing a conventional rod.
Then, after doing the spiral, tweak the size and or placement or number of guildes to accomodate the spiral.
Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2011 04:01PM

Sanford; With the simple spiral if the first 180 degree guide is sized as you might for a conventional set up, the line will start by resting in the bottom of the guide. As the rod bends the line must move from the bottom of the guide to the top of the guide. As that transition occurs there is no load on that guide. That increases the stress between the stripper guide and the second 180 degree guide. If you reduce the guide size it will cause the first 180 degree guide to load sooner and by loading as it should reduce that stress.

As you do your stress test, watch how the guides load as additional stress is applied. Try to get them to load sequentially as the line follows the contour of the blank without skipping a guide. You may find that you need to increase your guide size by one in the "bendy" area of the blank and then return to the size of your running guides as you proceed. This explanation is a bit overly simplified so if you would like to talk about it call or E-Mail me.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2011 12:01AM

I've built a lot of GTS 70H's spiral, I use a 20 stripper, and the rest size 10's. most have AMTAK Virtus Heavy Titanium guides, best guides for this rod. I have done a few with MNSG & HNSG BHNNG's as well. 2 transition guides, the rest 180, all that matters is the line staay offthe foregrip and the line toughes all the guides when under full flex.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster