I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

repair of broken rod
Posted by: Hank Turner (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 04:53PM

Has anyone ever fixed a broken rod by inserting a blank over the broken stub coming out of the fore grip, If so how much of the broken stub be left to slide the blank over?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: repair of broken rod
Posted by: Jim Meallows (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: January 14, 2011 05:39PM

I have. Put in a brace 12" long....6" on each side of the break. Wrapped the brace that goes inside the blank with that mesh drywall tape and then smeared it with marine grade epoxy. Then plugged each end of the brace so the epoxy would not run. Then after fitting the 2 broken pieces back together I also wrapped and epoxied the exterior the same way and then extended my grip over that....was using x flock shrink tube

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 08:40PM

Read this. [www.rodbuilding.org] I have repaired plenty that worked great and held up fine.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2011 02:30AM

Hank,
Just consider this to be a two piece rod.
I have done a couple of rods like this where the rod was broken midships, but the client did not want to show any signs of repair. So, I picked up another blank and trimmed the blank so that the 6 inches that I left sticking out of the foregrip would be a nice tight fit on the inside of the new blank extension.

All that I did was to get a nice fit on the two pieces of blank material and then I used 5 minute epoxy to glue the butt section to the new full length tip section. I did my normal overwrap, with butt trim, to insure that I would have no splitting of the blank. Since the butt section of the new tip section was a tight fit to the handle, the winding check and butt wrap did a 100% cover of the new joint. There was virtually no sign of any repair work having been done.

Ihe former rod had been a 6'6" rod. But due to the different size of the blank coming out of the handle, and the push of the rod section caused by the larger diameter at the point of the handle, the finished rod was now 7 feet. but that was fine with the client and it fished exactly the same as the former rod. Both rods were built with the identical blank.

Good luck.
Roger

Posted by: Hank Turner (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 15, 2011 09:49AM

thanks for the help, I had about 12 inches of rod left coming out of the fore grip so I took another 6'6" blank and cut enough off the butt end and slid it over the 12 inch stub with epoxy glue and it seems to look and feel the same. I was concerned that it may not cast the same. The rod is now 7' . I just hopes it does ok.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster