I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Where can i source drying chucks?
Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: January 14, 2011 01:39PM

I am looking to build a multi rod heated drying box and want some of those plastic/rubber jawed chucks at a reasonable price.
Google shows millions of steel ones . The slow turning motors are easy to get, jaws not so much.
Ideal would be one that opens up to 2 inches.
I have tried the neoprene collar types and they don't do it for me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where can i source drying chucks?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 01:58PM

Lou,
If you build yourself a drum dryer, you don't need a chuck, and you only need one motor.
If you would like help or plans to build your own drum dryer, drop me a line:

hflier@comcast.net

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Basically this drum dryer uses a square 1 inch aluminum tube to hold the plywood drums to hold the rods. The square tube keeps the drums in alignment.
The dryer is powered by a single 12 volt dc gear motor that is powered by a single 12 volt plug in transformer.
You you may use two or more drums to hold the rods, depending on the length of the rods.
In use, simply lay the rod - where there are no guides, on the drum, place a rubber binder around the rod at each drum location, and turn the motor back on.

This particular drum was built to handle a dozen rods at a time. I have used it extensivly since building it and it works very well.

When you are buiding a lot of rods, it is both a time as well as a space saver to be able to dry a dozen rods in an area that is only about 12 inches by 15 inches and as long as the rods.

Roger

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: January 14, 2011 02:03PM

Hello Everyone

Lou, MudHole has them on page 154 for $25.35. if all you want is the chuck, Jann's has them for $25.15 (page 71).

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: January 14, 2011 02:32PM

Roger, thanks but it needs to be flat and up on my wall, its a space thing in my wrapping room.
Robert, yes i saw those, i am getting the low speed geared motors for around $5 and then me paying $25 for the chucks puts the package at the retail price of a Amtack or pacbay drying motor setup ready built.
I may be forced to go that route though.

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.agr.ca)
Date: January 14, 2011 03:22PM

What about making pvc chucks? [www.rodbuilding.org]

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.agr.ca)
Date: January 14, 2011 03:23PM

or [www.rodbuilding.org]

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Rena Hall (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 03:25PM

Lou Auret Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Chuck jaws: Ideal would be one that opens up to 2 inches.

If you need the Rod Chucks for only Drying rods, why do you want the jaws to open up to 2 inches?

I don't know of, or see any need for, a Rod Butt diameter of 2 inches.

If 1.5 inches will do it for you, email your address to: Kittenpurrrzz@cox.net - I may be able to help you.

Rena

Posted by: Lou Auret (---.sip.mem.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 08:25PM

Rena,
email sent.
Chris, what i have in my head looks as sweet as those, i am hoping what i build is nearly that good! I need to get that back issue of rodmaker with the design of the PVC chuck, that may just do it for me.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2011 10:06AM

Lou,
To make a pvc chuck, all that you need are some pvc end caps, a piece of pvc pipe that will fit over the end caps withabout .030 clearance and a piece of 1/16th thick neoprene.
Put the pvc cap into the lathe and use the lathe and tools to shape the end of the pvc cap to allow for the pipe clearance to act as a clamp for the neoprene.
While the cap is in the lathe, put a 1/4 inch bit into the tail stock and drill a 1/4 inch hole into the end of the pvc cap. This is to mount the motor adapter on the pvc cap.
Cut a piece of neoprene over size. Then, use a hole punch to punch a 1/2 inch hole into the piece of neoprene. Use wd-40 to lubricate the pvc cap, the neoprene and the piece of pvc pipe to allow for easy installation of the neoprene - stretched tight over the face of the pvc cap.

Then, use a piece of aluminum, that may be a threaded 1/4 inch coupling to form a motor coupling for the chuck. If necessary cross drill the end of the motor adapter for set screws to clamp the motor adapter to the motor.

You should be able to build a pvc chuck for about $2 and 30 minutes to an hour of time, depending on your skills and tools available.

If you have further questions, just drop me an e-mail at

hflier@comcast.net

I have built several of the pvc style chucks and have never had an issue with a rod coming out.

p.s.

If you don't want to try to fit a piece of pvc pipe over the end of the pvc cap, you can always use a stainless steel hose clamp if you want. It is not quite as clean looking but perfectly functional.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster