I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rodbond question
Posted by: Ted Kamenecka (192.26.251.---)
Date: January 14, 2011 10:21AM

Hi,

Just a quick question about rod bond. My hardener looks ok, but the white stuff, the resin, seems to have crystallized?? Does that happen? It was stored indoors, so no harsh temps. Has it gone bad?? I know thread wrap epoxy can sometimes do this, but I've never seen this happen before with rod bond. Do I need to order new resin?

I mixed up a small batch 1:1 and the hardener made it all smooth and such, but dont want an issue as I am building some heavy rods now, and dont need issues with the reel seats, gimbals and such.

Thanks alot.

Cheers,
Ted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2011 10:22AM by Ted Kamenecka.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rodbond question
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 10:25AM

No problems TEd

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: January 14, 2011 10:44AM

Hello Everyone.

Good to go.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 11:08AM

Warming any of the 2 part epoxys that look "crystalized" will bring them back to normal.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 14, 2011 11:09AM

You can rejuvenate the resin portion by sitting the jar in a pan of very hot water for 15 to 20 minutes. It's still good and the original consistency can be returned if you wish.

Date: January 14, 2011 11:17AM

OK, thanks a lot guys, appreciate the quick response!!! As I said, never ever seen this before with rodbond. Love the stuff!

Cheers,
Ted

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 02:18PM

Ted,
If you don't have the adhesive in a metal container, put the adhesive in the microwave for a few seconds. The microwave does a wonderful job to warm the adhesive and eliminate the crystals.

Roger

Date: January 14, 2011 02:21PM

Roger, ok, thanks. It's in the plastic tub that it comes in. I think I will stay away from putting it in the microwave, though- one of these two components gives me a serious skin allergy if ever in contact, so want to keep it away from my food! It might be the hardener, though....but better safe than sorry.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 04:34PM

Ted,
You are right to be concerned, but just open the lid on the container under question so that it sits loosely on the tub. Set the timer for about 15-20 seconds and you will be fine.

Take care
Roger

p.s.
Many folks buy an inexpensive small micro wave - just for their rod shop, since it is a handy thing to use for quick warm ups of different items.

Posted by: PAUL BEAULIEU (---.lightspeed.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 09:18PM

Now that someone has mentioned it, I just realized that the itching and skin irritation on my hand(s) that occurs after doing grips & reel seat glue ups is related to Rod Bond. I don't build that many rods but I do love the stuff and woiuldn't use anything else. Pushing an EVA grip down a blank is messy business and invariably some RB winds up on my hands. Clean up hands with alcohol and warm soapy water but itchy red patch can last for hours but gone next day. Never realized I was allergic to something in RB. Anyone else??

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 15, 2011 10:47AM

Paul, take it seriously. You doctor can run some tests. You may find there are certain foods to watch out for too. It generally gets worse.

Use good ventilation and gloves (nitrile, not rubber). NEVER use a solvent as that just washes it into your pores. Use waterless hand cleaner and wipe clean, then soap and water.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: PAUL BEAULIEU (---.lightspeed.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 15, 2011 09:29PM

Thanks, for the heads up. Good advice

Posted by: Michael Mayo (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 17, 2011 08:47AM

I wear rubber nitrile gloves when I am gluing stuff up as it keeps my hands clean and the nasty stuff off.

Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Milford, CT.
"I work so I can Fish"

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: January 17, 2011 10:09AM

Michael Mayo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wear rubber nitrile gloves when I am gluing
> stuff up as it keeps my hands clean and the nasty
> stuff off.

I buy blue nitrile gloves by the box of 100 in a hardware store. ALWAYS wear gloves when using epoxy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster