I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing Old Wraps
Posted by: Wes Christy (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: January 13, 2011 11:42PM

So a friend of mine has two 9' 1-piece Harrington Rods that he wants rebuilt.......
there is EVA foam grips that are RED. the back grip is split with about a foot and a half wrap then another Red eva grip, it then has an aluminum reel seat then another red EVA grip an another wrap that is about a foot long. the guides have underwrites that extend well over two inches past the guide foot. So basically my question is, What is the best way to remove the wraps without damaging the blank and/or removing the EVA foam grips. he would like to just cover the EVA with shrink tube and keep the original reel seats.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing Old Wraps
Posted by: John Kitch (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 05:26AM

I use a small file and file the finish lightly until I can get a hold of the end of a piece of thread. Then unwrap the wrap. You can soften the finish a bit with a hair drier. I find using a file is easier to control then a knife and I don't run the risk of cutting my self. Go slow, it's a bit of a pain.
John
BTW the shrink tube works well.

Posted by: Dave Barrett (---.ma.emulex.com)
Date: January 14, 2011 08:21AM

Use a razor blade and cut through the finish and thread where they wrap over the guide foot. The guide foot protects the blank. Once started you can usually peel it all off

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 08:32AM

Also heating the finish with a hairdryer will soffin it up and make cut easer

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 11:07AM

The carefull cutting is a good idea, as is the warming of the old finish.
Just be careful how hot, old blanks don't accept a lot of heat very well.
The same might be said of even modern blanks, but the older ones are worse.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 11:20AM

Wes,
I think Harrington was developed when Harnell was being sold. The company went through a couple of changes in ownership in those years. If it dates to that early period, the finish is likely to be varnish rather than epoxy and the rod blank is fiberglass. If the blank is glossy black and if the wraps are yellow and red that would support my guess. It is also likely that the grips may be Hypolon rather than EVA. As I said this just a guess. you might try a little DNA or ISP on the wraps. You could also try a cloth moistened with acetone on the wrap and see if they soften and the finish comes off. If not follow what the others have suggested.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Wes Christy (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 11:44PM

Michael you would be correct the wraps are yellow and red and overly large for the guides. thanks for the suggestions but what is DSP and ISP???

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2011 08:35AM

Denatured Alcohol / Isopropyl Alcohol

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: January 15, 2011 10:58AM

Good Morning Wes,

I don't know for sure, but I would guess it is the manufacturer's designation for the purpose of the rod. The SP portion probably indicates spinning. If you go to Batson Enterprises web site or the St Croix web site, you will see that they categorize their rod blanks with either a two or three letter designation. Like I said, this is just a guess. Have fun with this project.

Mike Blomme

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster