I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

0-1-2 wt fiberglass blank...
Posted by: John P. Rivera (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: January 13, 2011 08:34PM

Hello...

I'd like to get a recommendation on a 6' to 6'6" 0-1-2 wt fiberglass blank... preferably one piece (and I wouldn't have a problem cutting a larger blank down)...

Cutting down a two piece may also be an option... or...a UL spinning blank?...

Thank You,

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 0-1-2 wt fiberglass blank...
Posted by: Scott Kloosterman (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2011 11:55PM

John
I to am looking for that blank only shorter for the over grown stream behind my home. I'm looking for a buggy whip of a blank that will load with 10' or less of leader for 4" - 9" creek chubs. Based on an earlier post last week I built a 5' fly rod on a Batson E-Glass SPG601. Felt promising during the shake test but won't load with anything less than a WF5 at short distance (to cold and snowy to take it out side for a real test so side arm in the basement will have to do). I know this is not the "BUY THIS BLANK" info you're looking for but it may keep for straying down the wrong path.

Scott Kloosterman

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 07:27AM

Take a look at : Maybe one of the 1-4 line rated [www.mudhole.com] or SP600 1-4 line []
These are the lightest I could find - have not built these but the light line may work Also the lure ratings are very light

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2011 07:30AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 08:43AM

I know Kabuto Rods in Japan makes a 2wt blank. Long wait from what I've read. Mark Steffen with Steffen Bros., makes a couple different 1-2 wt blanks as well. Contact Steffen, McFarland, FH Paddock, and TL Johnson. I'm sure one of them can help you out.

Lane Pelissier

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 09:11AM

Lamiglas' 3 piece 6 ft 6 in 3 wt is actually lighter powered than that, low 2s when you use the Common Cents scale.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 09:27AM

The Batson SPG720 has been a popular model for short, soft fly rods.
It may need more than 2 wt line, but we have sold many of these for just what you are asking about.
Here is a link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 10:57AM

John,
I don't know what your price point is, but I would consider a bamboo blank for that application. Bamboo is very durable, and I like that it is "self-loading" due to its weight and the way it flexes. Bamboo would be my choice for casting a leader or short length of fly line.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.physics.kent.edu)
Date: January 14, 2011 12:06PM

This may be a shot in the dark, as I've not done much fly fishing, and my recommendation is a graphite blank. I would take a look at the Batson SP840, or IP840. My IP840, trimmed to 6'8" with 3mm running guides, and has one of the most limber tips of any UL I've fished. Trimming it to 6' or 6'6", and wrapping with 6mm or 8mm guides, may make it whip enough for your task. Not to mention with the butt lopped off, those creek chubs should feel pretty sporty.

Just a thought,

Joe

Posted by: gene bethea (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 12:16PM

south fork rod company has a 6'6" 2 weight 2 piece classic fiberglass blank. Also, cabela's has just came out with a new fiberglass rod; a 5'9" 3 weight is in the mix.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2011 12:18PM by gene bethea.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.208.130.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 05:56PM

Most ultra lights I've cast won't load without a 4 or 5 weight fly line.
Even a 6'6" 2 weight fly rod feels better overlined than under.
I've seen mention of a micro-light but can't remember where or if blanks are available.
An option you might try is to splice a 3 foot solid glass ice rod blank ( tip 2.5 butt .149) to a tip shortened ultra light blank.
The mass of the ice rod blank added to the ultra light butt may be castable with the light fly lines you're looking at.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 06:10PM

Eugene Moore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most ultra lights I've cast won't load without a 4
> or 5 weight fly line.
> Even a 6'6" 2 weight fly rod feels better
> overlined than under.
> I've seen mention of a micro-light but can't
> remember where or if blanks are available.
> An option you might try is to splice a 3 foot
> solid glass ice rod blank ( tip 2.5 butt .149) to
> a tip shortened ultra light blank.
> The mass of the ice rod blank added to the ultra
> light butt may be castable with the light fly
> lines you're looking at.
>
While I agree with you that ultra lights won't cast anything under a 4 or 5 wt. Why try and make a Frankenstein rod when there are fiberglass blanks available in the line ratings John is looking for. E-Glass Batson spin blanks, AKA "Tadpoles", aren't the answer and neither would a hodge podge of other blank parts.

Lane

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster