I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Burled cork ring rings
Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2011 05:37PM

I just got a power wrapper /cork lathe. Now I have glued up cork rings and sanded them just fine. Now I tried Burled cork rings and when I sand them down I get ring marks. did I just not clamp them tight enough or is this common?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Burled cork ring rings
Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: January 13, 2011 06:09PM

I haven't noticed any glue rings with burl cork and I have been using burl more and more. I use rodbuilders epoxy glue. Sometimes the hole is a tight fit on the mandrel and it may take a little more pressure to get the middle ones tightened up.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 13, 2011 06:25PM

Because of the "grain" involved, the line will be more noticeable.

You'll always have lines between each ring. Stack some up with no glue whatsoever and you'll still have visible lines.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2011 07:15PM

If they are not acceptable to you and the joints are strong you can always flock them. It is very easy to do. and makes a nice looking handle

you can e-mail me for details.

bill.eshelman@yahoo.com

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 02:46PM

Jeff,
I have used a lot of bulred cork and have not noticed any glue lines at all with either burled or rubberized cork.

The times that I have noticed quite visible glue lines were the times that I used bleached natural cork. For that cork, the glue line was very pronounced.

My guess is that, as you suggested, you did not use enough pressure on the cork, and or you simply put too much glue on the cork themselves.

You need a film of glue on the cork, and not much more. Or, if you put more glue than a film, you need enough pressure on the clamp to squeeze out the excess glue.

Both burled as well as rubberized cork are much harder than natural cork so they can stand up to more pressure. Also, it is pretty important when sanding either burled or rubberized cork, that you use a backing board on your sanpaper. If you don't, there will be a ridge formed from the harder material. It may be possible that you are seeing a glue line, because you are not using a backing board when sanding.

P.S.,
Another trick that I have found works, is that for some cork, you may find it to your advantate to lightly sand the face of each side of each cork ring before beginning to glue the cork. It seems that some rings seem to have a finish of some sort on the rings which can end up causing a glue line. I have only found this in a couple batches of cork, but you might have run into one of these batches.

Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 16, 2011 03:50PM

They may look better if you use less glue and put more pressure when squeezing them together.
I use rod bond and you don't need much.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 17, 2011 01:11PM

Ralph O'Quinn (formulator of Rod Bond) always recommends and demos in his workshops on his method of using it. He uses a Popsicle stick to apply a THIN coat to each piece and then scrapes as much as he can off with a stick, leaving both surface's wet

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 17, 2011 04:29PM

I find when I put three small dabs on a ring then place another on top of it - turn about 8 times then go to the next ring I get them coated well and none have failed me . putting them on a threaded rod and tighten hard - no rings.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2011 06:33PM

The people who are using my rods have no complaints about lines between the rings. They appreciate the quality of the rods for fishing. I think you may be overreacting to an issue which really is not an issue. If you want no discernible line then you may need to consider using a grip material other than cork. That may lead you to materials that have other problems. I really think if you are going to use a material like cork, you are going to be able to see where on cork ring ends and another begins. That may be part of the beauty of natural materials. I bought some "burl" cork rings and found that while I couldn't see the line between rings, they looked like particle board. So uniform it was unatural.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster