I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

OK, Hold the phone...............
Posted by: Bill Napier (---.hosted.static.webnx.com)
Date: January 13, 2011 10:09AM

Have any of you had a chance to cast the new Dorber "S" rods? Seriously, is this a joke? The blanks are not straight.....they are actually set into a shallow S shape. I was reading a review in the new FF magazine and the guys there said it excelled on the forward cast, but ended up working against you on the back cast. Sounds reasonable. I just cannot believe that such a blank exists. How would you get the mandrel out of the darn thing once it has been hardened into that S shape? Inquiring minds want to know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OK, Hold the phone...............
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-21rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 13, 2011 11:03AM

Pretty bizarre. I'd like to try one though. My guess is that if you get off the exact casting plane it would be more than a little funky feeling. Should be interesting to see how far this concept goes.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 13, 2011 11:55AM

guess ya build it on the straightest access ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Emory J. Harry (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2011 12:34PM

Bill,
The mandrels usually have a powder lubricant on them and the mandrel is pulled out of the blank with a hydralic puller. The blank is reinforced at the end where it comes in contact with the puller. One way or another the mandrel will come out.

Date: January 13, 2011 12:38PM

I can understand that on a rod blank that is straight. But how do you get an S shaped mandrel out of an S shaped rod blank? Looks to me like it would be formed in once the graphite sets and no amount of pulling could get it out.

Posted by: Emory J. Harry (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2011 02:21PM

Bill,
I understand your question. I do not know for sure. I have not seen it done, but I think that probably both the blank and the mandrel are flexible enough that one or both flex as the mandrel is pulled.
Actually, almost no blanks or mandrels are perfectly straight. There is almost always some bend or crookedness in the blank and or mandrel that must flex as the mandrel is pulled.
You are probably right that at some point, some degree of crookedness, the scheme will not work, the mandrel cannot be removed.

Date: January 13, 2011 02:29PM

That's my point. So how do they withdraw the mandrel from this S shaped rod blank? If the mandrel is made of steel I doubt you can pull it through an S shaped object and not ruin it or the blank.

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: January 13, 2011 03:16PM

Think of the stiffness of a piece of music wire. The steel mandrel has a pretty darn small diameter, and it will readily deflect (straighten out) with even a small amount of tension. This is particularly true of steel if the yield point has not been reached and the steel is still in the elastic range. The rod blank should have considerable greater elastic range, therefore ---No problem.
Sounds like a great way to market a goof up to me.

Date: January 13, 2011 05:19PM

The entire bottom half of the rod is from a quarter to a half inch in diameter. How flexible is a quarter inch steel rod??? I just have to believe these are made some other way.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 13, 2011 06:24PM

The owner of Dorber will be at the Expo, if you can track him down you can ask him there.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 03:56PM

Does Dorber have a email or web site? These are question one must ask a manufacture. Maybe someone could get a blank and come up with a new guide wrap design. Remember how long it took for the Roberts (Acid Wrap) to take hold , now every one who builds has one or 2 types or styles of that wrap. Maybe they could call the new wrap the (Coke Wrap) Put 2 S's together, one reverse of the other an what do you have? A body ! . We all know where the Acid Wrap got it name. One thing is for sure you don't have to worry about guide alignment

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 08:47PM

Must be a bear to spin on a rod lathe!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster