I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Heavy Short Trout Rod
Posted by: Jason Morton (---.hsd1.az.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2011 01:25AM

Hi All,
Im looking for a recommendation on a trout rod for a customer. He fishes alot of very brushy river banks and needs a rod thats tough but still has some tip action. Ive already built him a trout rod on a MHX 4.5 foot ultra lite blank but its a bit to delicate for banging around in the brush. And suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks
Jay

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heavy Short Trout Rod
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 13, 2011 07:13AM

I am working on one of these right now, using an SJ720 with 18" cut off the butt. This makes for a rod with a little tip flex, but lots more power in the lower 1/2.

Good Luck - Marc

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 13, 2011 08:28AM

I fish the same kind of streams for trout up to 24" or so and I've been using the top sections of heavy weight fly rods for blanks. They work extremely well and I got them dirt cheap. I have a pile of them still in the shop. If you want, I can see if I have any heavy ones left. Send me an email if you're interested.

jeremy

Posted by: Josh Clawson (---.static.midco.net)
Date: January 13, 2011 09:30AM

I built a rod for a similar application on a MHX-SJ720. I left it the full 6', but now would have cut about 8"-12" off of the butt. Something else to consider would be chopping a drop shot blank. That way you have more "tip flex".
My 0.02.

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 13, 2011 10:05AM

An old bait caster or spinning shaft will work well , bait casters are short stout with flexy tips , I've done a few that could double as "ice rods" but are used as "bush" rods. Larry

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2011 01:48PM

A solid glass ugly stick blank has a very flexible tip, can be bent in a circle and tied up so it is virtually unbreakable. Also, the blank is very very inexpensive.

Roger

Posted by: Ladd Flock (---.dyn116.wfu.edu)
Date: January 14, 2011 12:48PM

Hi Jason,

Batson's Spin Bass blanks will work for you. I build smallmouth (for NC) and brown trout rods ( for New England) in their RX6 series and have been happy with their stout butt, light tip, and durabilty for bushwacking through brush to fish pocketwater and ledges in NC rivers like the Yadkin around Pilot Mountain: [www.tommangan.net]

You can trim these from the butt. They make great slider rods, too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster