I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Med-fast vs. Mod-fast action?
Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 12, 2011 05:46PM

What is the difference in action between a Medium fast (med-fast) and moderate fast (mod-fast) rod/blank typically? Or is med-fast just a typo and they mean mod-fast? Have you seen any blank/rod catalogs with both descriptions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Med-fast vs. Mod-fast action?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 12, 2011 05:53PM

Every med-fast and mod-fast blank I have gotten I did not like. But then again I like a fast blank.
To me they have no power. It is almost like.
They all seen to bend way into the middle of the blank.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: January 12, 2011 06:09PM

Medium = Moderate. It is just verbiage. Heck, all of it is to an extent. There are "mod-fast" blanks that have a faster action than other blanks rated as "fast". Everything is subjective and the labeling has much to do with the manufacturer AND the class of blank family (spinning, spin/jig, popping, etc.).

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2011 06:58PM

“They all seem to bend way into the middle of the blank.”

That is because they are designed to do that.

Depending on the technique an angler is using there can be great benefits to using moderate blanks.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 12, 2011 07:21PM

Medium and moderate mean the same thing.

Action is where a blank initially flexes. Fast action blanks initially flex in their upper 1/3rd. Medium or moderate initially in the upper 1/2, and slow initially along their full length.

The combination of terms such as Medium-Fast is a small attempt to expand on what is a very limited resolution of a very subjective system.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2011 01:53PM

Gary,
I think that everyone is right.
Check out the library -
Essentially you have the following actions in a rod.
Slow
Moderalte
Fast
Extra fast

Each of these words defines as to where the rod begans to bend. i.e. slow begans to bend from the butt, moderate or medium begans to bend in the middle, fast begans to bend at about the 1/3 way from the tip, extra fast begans to bend at about 1/4 from the tip.

Each of these rods are great when used for their particular purpose.
Just don't make the mistake in trying to use an extra fast rod, for an application that is better serviced by a slow action rod.
A good example of the extra fast rod is one that is used for vertical jigging. On the other hand, a down rigger rod is a perfect example of a slow action rod, as are many trout and steel head rods.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 13, 2011 11:49PM

Roger, I think I might state that in another manner, ie. It is where the rod bending begins to stiffen, as all the bending begins at the tip, and a "fast action" stiffens up nearer the tip then a slower action.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster