I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

custom graphite rod blank producers
Posted by: Craig Johnson1 (---.crf.up.net)
Date: January 11, 2011 01:06PM

The amount of collective knowledge on this site is tremendous! I was wondering if anyone on this board knows of any individual or company that custom rolls graphite rod blanks for freshwater application (light spinning and fly designs)? There are more models and types of rod blanks available then ever before but I still can't find what I want. I'm interested in buying only a small number of blanks and they would be for personal use only. Any help would be appreciated very much.

Craig

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: custom graphite rod blank producers
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 11, 2011 01:20PM

Most any blank maker will be happy to custom build blanks for your specific application. The problem is that it's not going to be economically feasible, for them nor you, to do "one-offs." In fact, expect to be required to take anywhere from 25 to 100 of a particular model.

The only person I can think of that might entertain the idea of doing a "one-off" model type of run, would be Kerry Burkheimer, and even then I think the cost is going to be more than most are willing to pay.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: January 11, 2011 01:25PM

Specifically, what are you looking for? It would be VERY hard to believe that your "mystery blank" doesn't already exist, in some shape, form or fashion. If you share, we just might be able to help you find the elusive blank you seek.

In respect to having blanks custom produced, Tom's information is spot on. In addition, you should be aware that OEM production blanks usually do not carry a warranty beyond the shipment reaching you. Expect to spend $1,000 at a bare minimum.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 11, 2011 01:50PM

what are you looking for and how does that compare to what you've already seen? Someone might be able to help point you in a direction.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2011 02:21PM

Call Talon Graphites. I'd bet they might have a mandral that would work for what you want. There would be a min order my guess would be 20 or 25. great company to deal with and they have some great rod actions.. Very overlooked company!!

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2011 02:25PM

As most of the gents on the board have eluded to, I am sure that you can question many of the suppliers to the left and find a blank that will fit your needs to a "T" and save you lots of cash. I have never delt with more helpfull people than you will find to the left anywhere. Trust me they are there to help. So before you go and lay some big bucks down for a one off do some fact finding and you will find the blank you are looking for. Just aqsk.

Tight lines,

John Hernandez

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 11, 2011 07:49PM

Craig - Even if there isn't a stock blank that fits your exact specifications, there are no doubt blanks that can be adapted to be precisely what you want. If you post a description of what you're looking for, the members here will point you in the right direction.

Dan

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2011 08:28PM

Head to High Point next month to the ICBRE and your blank will most likely be there. If not there are manufacturers there that will listen to you about what you want.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: January 11, 2011 09:29PM

Tom: Who is Kerry Burkheimer and how do I get a hold of him? Thank you for your time and input!

Jim: I have looked at probably every blank known to the human race and the answer is no, there is nothing out there like it. Also, I'm really not interested in a warranty since only rarely have I broken a rod and the rod would be a build more durable than most of the more modern high performance sticks out there. Jim, you always have great advice, thank you!

Alex: Specifically one of the rod blanks is a 8.5 ft. 6/7 wt. 2 piece, 33t mod. graph. with a slow taper, mod action. Don't know what the butt dia. is. 12 inches above the butt the blank diameter is approx. 0.250 inch, the tip is 5/64. When the rod is loaded she bends right down to the butt. Compare to more modern builds she's an old klunker but she is a light line, small to mid size stream steelhead catchin' machine. Thanks for your knowledge and advice! Batson use to have a somewhat similar blank but they no longer offer.

John M.: I have heard good things about Talon and I just may give them a call. I have wanted to build one of there blanks for a number of years now. Do you know if they inherited any of the LCI Excelon mandrels? I love my only remaining LCI. There is a couple standard mod graphite and IM6 fly blanks I would like of theirs reproduced. Sweet blanks ahead of there time. Only problem is I don't want 20 or 25 of them. I build for fun only. John, thank you for sharing your knowledge with all of us.

John H.: Yes, the boards sponsors are excellent and have been pleased to do business with them or use there products. They just don't have what I need. Thank you for sharing your time and kind advice.

Date: January 11, 2011 10:05PM

Dan: I have thought of modifying a blank awhile back but this is an old blank design that has gone the way of the passenger pigeon. There is just nothing out there like it. There's a lot, and I mean a lot of really great designs being made right now, but they just don't meet the design criteria. When I have something in mind I'm very particular. In fact I have built a huge number of rods just to see if I could make anything similar, however none have meet my expectations. The closest was a now long ago discontinued blank from Lamiglas. Thanks for sharing your time and advice!

Fred: ICBRE sounds AWESOME! Got to put food on the table though so I'll be at work. Would love to meet and be inspired by some fellow fanatical builders and fisher folk. Fred, thanks for your time and sharing your advice.

In my second post I forgot to mention the blank was sold by Cabela's back in the early 80's. I originally bought this blank in early 1982 and it's been catchin' ever since. I think this blank was made by Loomis or one of his early companies for Cabela's. I think she's earned her rightful retirement. Caught thousands of steelhead, browns, salmon and lake trout on her.

Best regards to all!

Craig

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: January 11, 2011 10:56PM

Craig -

Your last post would lead me to send you to North Fork Composites. They have plenty of older mandrel designs AND the original designer (Gary Loomis) of many of them. Use the link to the left. I am sure they would be happy to reproduce your blank ... to exact specifications. The only question will be the price you are willing to pay to get it. Contact Jon Bial @ NFC, he can help you through the process.

Jim -

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2011 11:01PM

Edit: Oops, Jim and I were typing at the same time.

Tom, you can remove this post if you wish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2011 11:02PM by Joe Vanfossen.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 12, 2011 08:16AM

Craig,

That blank was most likely made by LCI (now Talon) and there is some possibility that they would still have that mandrel and pattern in house.

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2011 08:54AM

I would have to say that Talon has the old LCI patterns and mandrals or Loomis/Mook designs. Their catalog is only a small portion of what they have. It was explained to me that they have over 600 different blanks. Now if that's blanks or mandrals I don't know as some companys can make more then one rod on the same mandrals. I have bought bass, surf, and salmon blanks from them and I haven't really never been disapointed. The tuff part about buying blanks is if you can't shake them before you buy but, most companys if you call and tell them what your looking for can steer you right.
I'll also add Rogue to your list. I have very little dealings with them other then an old surf rod I had years ago. Quite a few choices out there and someone should have what you want.
Good luck and remember when it come to blanks the search is half the fun... IMO anyhow!! Enjoy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2011 08:55AM by John Martines.

Date: January 12, 2011 01:51PM

Jim: Thank you again for everything. in my previous experience, Jon at NFC is very helpful and responds quickly even on weekends with questions. I definitely will pick his brain some and see where it leads. I'll keep you posted if interested.

Joe: Sorry Jim beat ya to it. Thanks anyways!

Tom: I never really considered Talon having that particular mandrel before. Great idea! I thought Gary had left LCI by time he started making blanks for Cabelas so I didn't think they would have them. I will check into that. They have been very helpful at Talon before when I had questions. Any further leads on Kerry Burkheimer? Again, thank you for the info!

John M.: Thank you again for sharing your info! You are certainly right about the tough part about buying blanks! I live in a rural area and its a long drive to any metropolitan area to waggle a blank. I never, hardly ever go to the big city. It's hit or miss internet or mailorder though. Rogue has some nice stuff. I'll check in with them and Talon for sure. I'll keep y'all posted if you like.

The quest continues. Just thought I would share with you some of my own research. Serendipitously I stumbled across David Norwich of Scotland while watching some fly fishing videos on YouTube. He has some nice videos on fishing, turning cork grips, and ROLLING GRAPHITE BLANKS! He also has a website which is pretty nice. I wanted to do what he is doing 25 years ago, just didn't know how to get started. Thanks everybody!

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.agr.ca)
Date: January 12, 2011 02:59PM

Kerry Burkheimer can be found through a simple google search on the name. The first three entries that I saw were for his website.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Date: January 12, 2011 06:07PM

Thank you Chris! I certainly will look him up.

Craig

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster