I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

.5cc pumps and bubbles?
Posted by: Ken Tong (---.mobile.mymmode.com)
Date: January 11, 2011 02:47AM

I got tired of slightly mis-measuring with the syringes, so I got the pumps in hopes of making life easier...but it seems that the pumps keep introducing bubbles no matter how many times I prime them...any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: .5cc pumps and bubbles?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 11, 2011 08:19AM

Not sure how you can mis-measure with the syringes. It's easy to be very exact with them. I know of no other way to be as precise with such a simple method as using syringes.

Posted by: Ken Tong (---.mobile.mymmode.com)
Date: January 11, 2011 09:07AM

I always end up putting a little too much of one part, as I use the 12cc syringes...I try to only use 2ccs at a time, but a slight error will leave the finish tacky...I know that if I use 3 or 4ccs, that it will be less of an issue, but I don't want to waste...

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 11, 2011 09:17AM

Ken
You have to think of the time you've spent on the threads as well. Mess up on the epoxy and you toss out the time spent on the thread work. One or two extra cc's of epoxy outweighs the time you've spent - and will 're-invest' in redoing wraps and finishes.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2011 09:34AM

Ken,

Add a set or two of 3cc syringes to your next supply order.

Joe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 11, 2011 09:51AM

Considering the cost of a total 6cc mix of epoxy, versus trying to mix less and winding up with a tacky finish that needs to be recoated, well...

Mixing 3ccs of each part is less expensive in the long run. Not to mention that we're only talking about 25 cents worth of epoxy.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: January 11, 2011 10:32AM

Life will be much easier for you if you listen to Joe .

Order a couple of sets then you will have a spare.

The finishing of a rod is a poor place to save a couple of cents. You could mess up all of your work.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2011 11:34AM

Ken,
Get a set of syringes which have graduated markings on the sides of the syringes.

I seldom use a full set of finish in the syringes. I generally only use a 1/4 or a 1/3 rd load in the syringes. Not an issue at all to insure that the part A is equal to the part B. I always pull in more finish than my final amount, and then push the excess back out so that the finish is on the exact mark that I want for the particular mix. That way, there is no air in the syringer that might affect the ratio of mix.

I think that most of the flex coat syringes come with graduated markings on the syringes. You want to use a syringe as you always see in the movies. Draw the finish into the syringe, and then push the plunger back out to dispel any air from the syringe and to bring the finish level to the particular mark on the syringe that you want to mix.

p.s.
Pumps are normally intended to be used for reasonably large batches. When I was in model building, I always used pumps but then I was typically mixing quantities of several ozs of part a and part b at a time. Also, for the work that I was doing, bubbles were not an issue for the type epoxy and model work that I was doing at the time. But, when using pumps, I would normally always use full pump strokes and then simply count the number of pump strokes for a mix.

Roger

Posted by: Pat Barnard (---.vctrcmta01.vctatx.tl.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 11, 2011 02:27PM

Anyone ever had the problem with theblack plunger on the Flexcoat syringes bleeding into the hardner in the syringe? I had it happen.

Pat Barnard

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2011 06:01PM

Pat,
What do you mean by your statement? As written, it is not understandable.

From time to time, I do find that it is a good idea to clean the syringes. Even though not mixed, part a or part b by itself can cum and get clunky in parts of the syringe. When this happens, I pull the plunger out of the syringe and completly clean the syringe, useing an appropriate solvent, a tooth brush and a wire pick to remove all vestiges of either of the parts a or b left in the syringe. Then, to lubricate the syringe, I will allow the rubber part of the syringe to be coated in the part of the mix being sucked up by the syringe. i.e. either part a, or part b.

If the syringe is left dry after being cleaned, it is very difficult to have the rubber slide cleanly down the syringe. But with a nice lube from the epoxy being used by that particular syringe - no problems. If I know that for some reason that the syringe is not going to be used for a very long time, I may clean the syringe very well and simply leave it in two pieces - so that there is no issue about the plunger being stuck int he syringe over long term storage. Of course the a and the b syringe and syringe parts are kept separate, so that there is 0 chance of any of the pieces being cross mixed upon reassembly.

Roger

Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.20.---)
Date: January 11, 2011 07:55PM

a slight misjudgement on the marking on the 12cc syringes could mean quite a big difference.. i think you be better off using 3 cc syringe for measuring like Joe said.. while it is not recommended, i do mix 0.5cc of each whenever i need to recoat a guide wrap or 2 and i didnt have any tackiness issues.. additionally, i have tried stirring the mix, generating bubbles, but before I apply it, i lightly exhale over the mix and after application, i lightly flame the wraps. not so much bubble issues, though it may be because i am using Threadmaster Lite.

i use the pump mainly for epoxy glue, though i seem to have problems with the pump crusting up with the hardener over time..

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 11, 2011 08:43PM

I think that the easiest, quickest and most accurate method is drilling a hole in each cap just big enough to tightly fit a syringe tip into. Invert the bottles and draw out the amount of finish you want and squirt into a mixing cup. Stick the syringe back into the cap and draw back an inch or so and place on a shelf until next time. When the bottles run dry take the caps/syringes off and place on new bottle. Never have to clean the syringes and you can't mix them up or lose them. I've been using the same syringes/caps for at least a couple years and NEVER clean them. Quick, easy, no mess, no fuss and consistent, no brainier measurements every time no matter how little you mix.

I now use the new Mudhole bottle inserts instead of drilling [www.mudhole.com] They are great!

Flex Xoate no longer has th black rubber plugs in their syringes!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster