I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Xylene Use in Rodbuilding
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 10, 2011 10:15PM

I notice that the use of Xylene is often recommended here and at the risk of sounding like an alarmist, I would like to point out that Xylene is pretty toxic and can be very dangerous if precautions aren't taken. With the number of people using this forum (many of them inexperienced and unfamiliar with chemicals) I think that any recommendation of it's use should be accompanied by a caveat!

I would recommend that this be read in it's entirety by anyone considering using it [www.osha.gov] Personally, I never use anything stronger than Denatured alcohol in my shop

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Xylene Use in Rodbuilding
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: January 10, 2011 10:39PM

My strongest solvent is DNA as well. I even use IPA when doing light cleanup work. Xylene/Ethylbenzene is some nasty stuff. Not only are these items very toxic when inhaled, ingested or absorbed - they go BOOM very easily. IF you must work with it, use an organic vapor breathing apparatus, chemical resistant gloves AND proper ventilation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2011 10:42PM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 11:03PM

Mike,
Well said.
I do use Xylene from time to time as needed, but I am very careful with its use. I use a chemical proof mask and I work with open windows with forced ventilation keeping the fumes out of the workshop.

You are absolutely correct. Very toxic and a great need to be very careful in its use.

This solvent does certainly fill a nich in rod building that can not be matched by the use of Alchol. Most of the time, alchol will take care of most of the needs of the rod builder. But there are times, where the stronger properties of Xylene is what is really needed to take care of a particular job.

Roger

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 11:30PM

i've never needed to use anything othe rthan DNA. I can't even think of a situaton that would warrant using anything stronger.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 11:36PM

The continued recomendation by one or two individuals here saying it's OK to use those harsh chemicals gives the idea to all the new rodbuilders around here that it's a standard practice to use those type of chemicals. Not everyone will heed the warnings and just go ahead and throw some on a rag to wipe down their rods nor realizing the long term ill effects those chemicals can cause. How many guys will throw on protective clothing, rubber gloves, a respirator or what ever else you can sport just for a twenty second wipe down of a blank ? I was guilty of doing just that a few years ago until I realized that DNA or regular alcohol took care of that twenty second wipe down just as good as xylene or acetone.

Lance

Date: January 10, 2011 11:46PM

SOme of the info being posted is SCARY. Volum epostin gdoesn't equate to quality, or even accuracy

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 11, 2011 12:21AM

I cannot think of a single instance in rod building where only Xylene will work! Many rod builders build in their homes, and using these dangerous solvents where other family members may be present is at best foolhardy!

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 11, 2011 12:36AM

I've only got DNA and some goo gone for label removal in the shop.

I've actually gone to wearing nitrile gloves anytime I am working with epoxies or DNA. Even reading this - it makes Denatured Alcohol (DNA) sound safe... but on the MSDS:

Inhalation Acute Exposure Effects: Vapor harmful. May cause dizziness, headache, watering of eyes, irritation of respiratory tract, irritation to the eyes, drowsiness, nausea, other central nervous system effects, spotted vision, dilation of pupils, and convulsions.

Skin Contact Acute Exposure Effects: May cause irritation, drying of skin, redness, and dermatitis. May cause symptoms listed under inhalation. May be absorbed through damaged skin.

Eye Contact Acute Exposure Effects: May cause irritation.

Ingestion Acute Exposure Effects: Poison. Cannot be made non-poisonous. May be fatal or cause blindness. May produce fluid in the lungs and pulmonary edema. May cause dizziness, headache, nausea, drowsiness, loss of coordination, stupor, reddening of face and or neck, liver, kidney and heart damage, coma, and death. May produce symptoms listed under inhalation.

Chronic Exposure Effects:
May cause symptoms listed under inhalation, dizziness, fatigue, tremors, permanent central nervous system changes, blindness, pancreatic damage, and death.

-----------------
AD

Date: January 11, 2011 01:04AM

Alex - use a heat gun the labels peel right off most blanks with minimal heat. Or you could use MEK, lmao

Posted by: Craig Steele (---.dhcp.reno.nv.charter.com)
Date: January 11, 2011 01:10AM

I was once pretty casual about using safety gloves etc when washing auto parts with gasoline or paint thinner or carb cleaner. Then an art instructor told me that use of thinners for printer's ink had caused "printer's disease", which is known today as impotence or E.D. ! Needless to say, I am considerably more careful about solvent use today! These things can change your life.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 11, 2011 02:27AM

Billy - that is too simple. Plus I would have to plug it in and risk igniting my DNA. :)

-----------------
AD

Date: January 11, 2011 08:15AM

Seriously, use a heat gun or hair dryer for like 10 seconds, they all peel right off. Lift one edge up, blow heat under the label, and lift and keep heating. THEr ewil e a drop of adhesive left which probably doesnt' even need to be cleaned depending on teh size of the label & handle you're gluing up

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: January 11, 2011 10:16AM

Mike,

Thank you, This is an excellent post. I do not use Xylene, but I some times do use acetone which can be almost as bad It too is extremely toxic and flamable . I use it out side only and do not even keep it in the house.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 11, 2011 12:30PM

The problem here, IMO, is that in a few days when this thread is buried, new builders will continue to see these products recommended. Unfortunately many builders automaticall assume tha anything the read here is correct (after all everyone knows that if it' on the internet, it has to be true!!)

Like Billy said, the number of posts someone makes is NOT an indication of knowledge. Anyone who has been building for long or visiting this forum knows that there are various methods that people use in building. While most will work, many are downright scary!!!

When I make any recommendations, I try to make sure that I state that it's my OPINION.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Garey Elkins (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 11, 2011 12:31PM

Thanks for the informative reading fellas. I need to pay more attention to how I am handling this stuff myself, as I am a new builder also. I tend to use only DNA, but I have used Acetone a couple of times. But this makes me evaluate how I am handling these chemicals and the need to keep my children clear while working.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 11, 2011 12:55PM

For those who state they "never use xylene' means they never use permagloss? Xylene is the solvent in Permagloss! While I don't have any xylene, I do use Permagloss!

Ed Smith
Flat Rock, NC
War Eagle

Posted by: Tony Childs (152.72.151.---)
Date: January 11, 2011 01:59PM

It isn't just the thinners/solvents that are dangerous. The results of mixing things like Acetone and Epoxy during cleanup make the particle sizes small enought to penetrate skin poors, not to mention several of the cheap nitrile gloves. I am living proof that sloppy shop practices can do serious damage. Three trips to the ER in as many days from epoxy sensitivity allergic reaction has change the way I do everything in my shop. The amines in all the part B's is very bad stuff.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: January 11, 2011 02:02PM

Viton is the recommended glove material for handling hydrocarbon-based solvents.

Posted by: David Sample (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 11, 2011 04:54PM

Guys, I've been in the surfboard/boat building and repair business for 40 years, and have also built a few rods in my time, but not like most here. I only give the background to hopefully back up what I'm about to tell you.

MEK is way ahead of any of the others mentioned as a dewaxer/degreaser/surface prep. It's so good that many high $$$$ two part paints for aircraft and boats say to use MEK and NOTHING BUT MEK as a a pre-paint surface prep, even on aluminum, and that stuff is notoriously hard to get clean. Conversely: Most product labels specifically state NOT to use acetone as a surface prep!!!! Although acetone does a good job at cutting things like body oil, it doesn't touch most petroleum based oils and is far less well suited for waxes and silicones too.

For the more alarmist types who have posted: you can't fix stupid! Nobody can force someone else to not only read but also follow the precautionary labels on anything!!! Using common sense, good ventilation and gloves is recommended on all MSDS sheets and labels on products containing VOCs. It's up to the individual, not humanity, to use anything correctly!

Please see the MSDS sheets below for DNA, xylene, acetone and MEK. They are basically all the SAME. The one caveat is that the slowest evaporating of the bunch (or any VOC) stays on any surface longer, including your skin, so common sense says that there will be a greater likelihood of possible skin irritation or absorption, also known as danger to YOU. Of these three, xylene evaporates the slowest (VERY slow) and acetone the fastest, with MEK being very close behind.

[www.sciencelab.com]
[www.sciencelab.com]
[www.sciencelab.com]
[www.sciencelab.com]

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.196.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: January 11, 2011 06:04PM

Sarcasm is greatly appreciated.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster