I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First rod build
Posted by: Jonathan Yergin (---.bsu.edu)
Date: January 10, 2011 12:55PM

Hey

I just joined and I am going to build my first rod over the next several weeks. Its going to be a 24in UL ice rod with about 4 guides. I figured I would start with a small rod before making the leap to larger rods. I would like your opinions on the list of materials I have selected. I found all my material at www.mudhole.com. I also would like know what spacing is needed on such short rods?

Fuji Hardloy SF Spinning Guide - Black GUIDE SIZE: 16, 12, 10, 8, 6 I dont plan on using all of them, I haven't quite decided what sizes I need
Chrome Ice Rod Top 8 ring 2.5/64ths tube
Cork Ice Rod Grip - 5.0" x 0.1875" ID x 1" OD
Supply Kit - 24ml ProKöte & 2oz ProBönd
ATC Color Preserver - 1 oz

Thanks for your help.
Bored184

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2011 04:46PM by Jonathan Yergin.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First rod build
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 05:23PM

Jonathan,
I would probably only use the size 16, 8 and 6 guides. With an ice rod, you really only need about two sizes. But it is important that the first guide be a relatively large and or tall guide. If you don't have the first guide relatively tall and or large, the line will tend to catch as you reel in the line. You don't cast with an ice fishing rod, so you only need to be able to have enough guides for the line to follow the natural loaded bend of the blank.

You indicated that you are using a 24 inch blank. The handle is 5 inches long. So you will have a total of 19 inches for guides etc. in front of the handle.
I would put the first guide at the location where you began to notice a significant bend in the blank when loaded. In any event, I would not place the first guide any closer than about 7 to 8 inches from the end of the handle. Generally - further is better than closer. If you have the first guide much closer, you will began to notice the line jerking as you reel due to the steep angle of the line as the reel retreives So, if you had the first guide at 8 inches from the handle you will have 10 inches left. With an ultra light, I would imagine that the first guide down from the tip will be about 3 1/2 inches. Then, the next guide about 4 inches further. This is likely all of the guides that you will need.

Good luck
Roger

p.s.
With respect to your guide choices. The Hardloy guide is a relatively heavy guide. Although they will work - and if you build more small light rods, you might consider the use of fly guides and or pac bay minima 4 guides, or some of the stainless guides. Most of these guide choices are lighter than the Hardloy guides and are just fine for the use.

Posted by: Jonathan Yergin (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 05:48PM

Hey

I was wondering about the weight of the guides, where can I find a set of stainless guides? Thanks for your input it is much appreciated.

Bored184

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 07:14PM

Janns netcraft on the left sponsor page carries them.
Roger

Posted by: Jonathan Yergin (---.bsu.edu)
Date: January 14, 2011 09:55AM

I like the looks of the pac bay minima guides but my rod tip is 2.5 and they dont make one that goes that small. Do I use a guide as my rod tip or do I have to use a tip top?

Jonathan

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 26, 2011 06:01PM

You can use guides as a tiptop. I think a ceramic ring fly guide, bent a little, placed under the tip, will work fine. I wouldn't go very small as ice can be a problem, especially on small ones. If you don't use CP on that wrap it will probably be stronger, at least many think so. If you are asking about using a minima guide as a top, I am not familiar with them, but would expect you could adapt one.

Having said all that, Mudhole has ice rod tiptops at 2.5/64 which should work OK as is, or

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster