I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sevier "salt water" 8 wt
Posted by: Drew Pollock (162.119.68.---)
Date: January 10, 2011 12:11PM

Has anyone built one of the Sevier Tiger Eye saltwater blanks? I bought one that was on closeout, and now my brother is thinking of joining me in Alaska for Cohos this year. He is not a flyfisherman, but I was considering building this blank for him. Nothing fancy, just a straight forward build. This will by my 6th rod, so I'm new but but should be able to get a decent rod in his hands.

I want the rod to be good enough for a new fisherman and do nothing to put him off of flyfishing. If there are any major problems with this blank, I'll build him a Batson RX7 instead. Any insight appreciated.

Thanks,

Drew

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sevier "salt water" 8 wt
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 10, 2011 02:42PM

There are no problems with that blank whatsoever. However, as you move to longer and heavier weight fly rods, an increase in modulus generally tends to result in a lighter, more responsive rod that is easier to fish for long periods.

Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: January 10, 2011 04:05PM

My first time salmon fishing and my 2nd rod build was a tiger eye blank 9wt. and it worked great and held up fine what a blast.

Mike
Mikes Custom Fly Rods

Posted by: kevin gross (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 11:26PM

I would stick with Batson as you can count on them standing behind what they sell. You will not find better people than the Batson's. I have heard of poor if any communication with the tiger eye people

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Posted by: Cheng Moua (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 11, 2011 08:43AM

I've built on a few tiger eyes as well as rainshadows. nothing wrong with the tiger eyes. or their customer service.

LEGENDARY CREATIONS CUSTOM RODS
Maplewood, MN

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 11, 2011 09:50AM

These make great backup fly rods. I have 8-weight and 10-weight Sevier/Tiger Eye fly rods, and love them both. For $20 or $30, how can you go wrong, especially when it's so easy to spend $300 or more on a saltwater fly blank?

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: January 11, 2011 10:12AM

This was my take as well. If my brother does not like fly fishing, I'm only out the labor of making the rod and $50. To complete the trifecta, I got full wells grip for $4, and a reel seat from Mudhole on their Christmas giveaway for $2.50. Kind of stoked to see how the budget build turns out, and fish it back to back with my Sage Z-axis.

No issues ordering from Sevier, though I've only ordered from them twice. For $30, I do not expect lifetime warranty service!

Drew

Chris Garrity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> These make great backup fly rods. I have 8-weight
> and 10-weight Sevier/Tiger Eye fly rods, and love
> them both. For $20 or $30, how can you go wrong,
> especially when it's so easy to spend $300 or more
> on a saltwater fly blank?

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 12, 2011 09:51AM

If your brother hates it, it should take you about 10 minutes to sell it for what you paid for components. A serviceable saltwater fly rod for fifty or seventy-five bucks? Guys will shove each other out of the way for one, and the fact that it's a custom makes it an even better deal. Saltwater fly fishing equipment is, generally speaking, pretty expensive, with even the budget rods costing over $100, so selling something good - and these blanks are good - for under $100 should be a piece of cake.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster