I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson and Mudhole
Posted by: kevin gross (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: January 09, 2011 11:02PM

Just a quick question. Why doesnt Mudhole carry Batson. I used to be a buyer and GM for a big box electronics store so i am well aware as to how it all works. They are two great companies and together i think they would move a ton of great product. I understand maybe Batson is more of a bricks and mortar outlet but i see other places do carry Batson goods online. Cmon Batson and Mudhole join forces and lets roll!!

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson and Mudhole
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 09, 2011 11:07PM

Adding more dealers does not necessarily result in increased sales - it often simply cuts the existing pie into a greater number of smaller pieces.

The two companies also have many competing products. They may have no interested in product duplication. As it is, they both already move a ton of "great product" and you have access to both through a ton of current dealers.

Date: January 09, 2011 11:32PM

You are correct about the competing lines but then again Mudhole has competition with in itself. It sells many brands of blanks so why not add another one? Yes and no about the slicing the pie into more peices as well. Batson is just getting started in my mind. I had never heard of them a few months ago and MANY people ot there have never heard of Batson. With their line up in both selection and value along with the level of customer service they provide they cant loose. Batson could use a good stocking online dealer where prices were clearly listed and it was not a call us for prices and so forth.

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2011 11:34PM by kevin gross.

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: January 09, 2011 11:41PM

Mudhole and American Tackle have common ownership so most anything they can get from Batson they can get in house. Obviously there are a few parts that are unique to each company but both are constantly working to bring us the best selection of components possible.

Date: January 10, 2011 12:01AM

Mike i did not know that. That explains a lot

Kevin Gross

Posted by: david mastrude (---.dhcp.reno.nv.charter.com)
Date: January 10, 2011 12:33AM

...more companies=more competition=lower prices and more research and development,correct?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 12:43AM

Batson may be new to you, but it is not to many of us, and I deal with 2 stocking Batson dealers.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 10, 2011 12:53AM

Batson has been around a long time and is an importer and distributes through a dealer network whereas Mudhole is an importer retailer and wholsale distributer. Ford doesn't sell Chrysler's!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.jax.centurytel.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 04:31AM

Batson has been around for a least 20 years or longer. They are a whole sale distributer like PacBay. Kevin where are you located? They are also an innovative company that strive to improve the component products,(reelseats guides and blanks they produce off shore in their factories or other factories. In my humble opinion Batson has done and made tremendous strides to give the rod builders the best products around. Not every supplier carries everyone's products

Good Wraps Bob

Date: January 10, 2011 07:15AM

Dont get me wrong i LOVE Batson!!!!

Kevin Gross

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: January 10, 2011 07:25AM

It would be nice to have a wholesale/ dealer here in Canada. Sure would cut down on the shipping and duty charges.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 10, 2011 08:13AM

Kevin,

Apparently you're new to the party. Batson Enterprises has been around for over 10 years.

Batson Enterprises has been a long time advertiser in RodMaker Magazine which reaches over 15,000 custom rod builders each and every issue. That's one heck of a lot more builders than you can find on the internet forums. Most rod builders are very aware of the Batsons and their products.

My point is, that Batson Enterprises has a strong market presence and brand image and if someone isn't aware of Batson Enterprises it's not due to any lack of marketing or advertising on the Batson's end. They're quite active in this industry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2011 09:36AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 08:15AM

Good morning,

I do business with both companies and others as well. They are all excellent both in product and service.

Most of us do not have the depth of knowledge that a few do concerning info on these many companies.

Each company can not carry every item available for us to purchase. I prefer to purchase my items from one or two companies. I hate it when I have to order from companies outside my normal ones as it creates extra shipping costs, paper work etc.

You should have seen the scrambling I went thru when Fuij discontinued the BNLG-H guides. They are important to me as they are the guides I use on cod fish rods, similar rods, and I wanted to hold on to them as long as I could. The same can be said of discontinued blanks, thread and other items we all use. But that is another story.

AIf you are a hobby rod builder buying thru retail companies I can understand your frustration. I have had problems locating certain Pac Bay products. Living in New York I can not tell you where you could go to flex a Batson blank or for that matter most blanks from Lamiglas and other companies. That is why I have a room of blanks that I may never use BUT I do buy them as that is the only way I can find new useable blanks for my customers.

These are situations that I do not see changing. The fact that most fishing rod product companies are located on the West Coast is no help to the East Coast. If you have a MudHole type company within easy driving of your location consider yourself blessed. Can you imagine living an hour away to Lamiglas, Calstar, Seeker or any of the large companies?

Maybe we are spoiled in that we have too many good products from which to chose.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2011 09:40AM

When Mudhole acquired Custom Tackle Supply I had hoped they would carry on the Batson line, but they didn't. It's ashamed. I build a lot on Batson Rainshadow Blanks and like dealing with Mudhole, so it certainly complicates my life and costs them a lot of my business.

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 05:51PM

I don't think Batson has been around for as long as Amtak since Bob Batson was at Pacbay for a whole lot of years before starting Batson. Maybe since about 2000? I know that the Rainshadow/Cascade plant closed started around 2001 and closed in 2004. I do know that Mudhole was around quite a long time as well up in NJ before moving to Fla. Pacbay has to be one of the oldest names in the component game!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster