I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Kayak Frog Bass Rod
Posted by: Mitch Leppelmeier (---.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 09, 2011 04:03PM

I got a strange request from a customer today. He his looking for a frog rod for kayak fishing. Having never fished from a kayak before I'm not sure where to start. His only requests were that the rod is no longer then 6'10", has a short rear grip(7"-8") and has the power to fish heavy pads with 65 lb braid.

I was thinking about the MHX 785 and either extending it or seeing if he would like the 6'6" length. He said all his other rods were 6'6" but wanted to try something a bit longer to help get some extra casting distance. My only worry with that blank is that if its like the rest of the MHX blanks Ive measured, they are pretty darn fast action. Im not sure if that would be such a good idea for the application. I would think something more moderate would be better, but Im at a loss for a blank that fits what im thinking would work best.

Any suggestions? Also, any helpful tips to consider when building a rod that is being fished from a kayak?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kayak Frog Bass Rod
Posted by: Hal Lambert (---.flo.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 09, 2011 06:00PM

I both fish from a kayak and build rods for guys fishing out of kayaks. Almost all people want longer rods for longer casts and the ability to move the fish around the front and back of the kayak. Try to talk the guy into at least a 7'... 7'6" is even better. He would not be disatisified. The Castaway 874 (7'3") and BB1 (7'6" and a bit faster) make great frog rods but are longer than the 6'10" he thinks he wants. From experience a longer rod and more moderate action is better for this technique

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: January 09, 2011 07:57PM

In respect to a blank, look at the live bait series for a more moderate/stout rod. The L844 would be a good candidate. You could take 2" off the butt and not change the blank too much.

Posted by: Rick Jones (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2011 10:15PM

I agree with Hal. Minimum of 7' and moderate action. When I started kayak fishing I was using fast action rods and lost a LOT of frog fish. I don't use anything shorter than 7' on my kayak and most are medium/moderate action.

Posted by: Mitch Leppelmeier (---.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 04:47PM

Thanks for all the help guys! I spoke with the customer today and he wants to stick with the original rod length. He said that its only a 12' yak and he can reach around the front fine even with a 6'6" rod. The reason he likes the shorter length is that he says it easier to land fish. Having never fished from a kayak before, Ill just have to take his word and give him what he wants.

For those of you that have fished from a kayak before, does what he saying make sense? I'd just like to know for future reference in case I ever run into this type of build again.

Posted by: Hal Lambert (---.shv.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 05:18PM

The shorter rod may indeed make it easier for him to land fish. Personally I never use anything shorter than 7' and many are 7'6" and have no problem landing fish. The kayak I fish from is not even 12' and the longer rod makes all the difference...longer casts, longer reach to get fish around the front and back of the kayak (and I am not a small guy 6'2") and the ability to move line faster. You are right in giving him what HE wants but believe me if he were to ever go to the longer rod he would not bo back to the shorter ones.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster