I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide reduction help...
Posted by: Jeff Davis (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 09, 2011 10:27AM

I need some advise, hopefully good..lol.
I'm building a 7' light action spinning rod for a guy and he wants smaller guides, like 6mm running guides to the tip. I'm wondering how quickly I can reduce the guides to size 6mm?
He'll be using mono line, probably 12-15 lb test, so need to start with a 30mm I'd think?
Thanks,
Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide reduction help...
Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 09, 2011 10:39AM

I don't usually use anything larger tha a 25 on a rod that size, even smaller if possible.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: January 09, 2011 10:48AM

Third page, first paragraph ... [www.rodbuilding.org].

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 09, 2011 10:59AM

For 10 - 14lb. test, up to .36 mm diameter mono, I use 4 transition guides:

25Y-16Y-10Y-7V

... and then all the same size fly running guides after that ( I like 3.5 micros). Read the concept article in the Library link above.

If the line used will be larger than .36 mm, you might need to start with a 30, I would test cast to be sure... the main thing is to eliminate the line from slapping the blank between the reel and first guide.... line slap there will reduce casting distance the most on spinning rods.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: January 09, 2011 02:09PM

I'd go 25Y, 16Y, 8Y, then 6mm fly all the way to the tip.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2011 02:30PM

since it is a light spinner, take a look at using M style guides for your butt and mayby for the other transition guide then go to fly guides the rest. the M guides are taller and allo you to use a smaller sized guide. I personnaly think the sized 6 running are large, especially for a light spinner. if it fits your application then it is fine. if you look at the Minima guides then you can go smaller and get the same results as their openings are larger than other styles in the same size. if you use the minima M style you may be able to use a 20 or even a 16 for your butt guide and go down to a size 4 which is not much smaller than a ceramic 6. this will reduce weight and make a lively rod

Posted by: Jeff Davis (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 02:22PM

Thanks everyone
Jeff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster