I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

buybbles in Tiger wrap
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2011 10:10PM

I just did my third Tiger Wrap, the first one really had a bubble problem, even though I used the alcohol lamp, the second looked like I got the bubbles out, with the alcohol lamp, used a magnifier to make sure they were out, but when the epoxy dried they were these little bubbles all over in the epoxy, then the third one I put a very light coat, then flamed it with the alcohol lamp then put the rest of epoxy on, it turned out really good, is there any special way to do epoxy Tiger wraps, or is there a better epoxy to use on Tiger Wraps then the Diamond 2 Iv'e been using, it works really good on guide wraps, maybe it's just me, the way I am putting the epoxy on, any suggestions will help, Thanks. Lorenzo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: buybbles in Tiger wrap
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2011 10:16PM

With the layers of thread in a tiger wrap bubbles going to have to escape from under the thread. However the small bubbles are possibly being caused by too much heat during the flaming process.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2011 10:45PM

Fred, is there any time limit that i should wait before putting heat to the epoxy?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 08, 2011 11:52PM

Treating epoxy with heat can cause as many problems as it cures. I found that I can eliminate the bubble problem by using Threadmaster Lite for a first coat on each layer of wraps and then following with the regular Threadmaster. I also found that it helps if the Lite is warm to thin and help it penetrate. I know of some builders who also thin the epoxy with DNA for the first coats.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.jax.centurytel.net)
Date: January 09, 2011 12:10AM

Pack and burnish threads also use CP. especially on the under warp.

Good Wraps Bob

Re: bubbles in Tiger wrap
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 09, 2011 12:32AM

I agree with Bob. If you use CP on the under wrap the finish can't penetrate the thread wraps and trap air. I always use CP on the under wrap and never have a problem with bubbles.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: lee smith (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2011 09:16AM

I always use CP on any wrap that is more than one layer. Haven't had a problem since I started that process.

Posted by: Bob Caulkins (---.doc.wa.gov)
Date: January 09, 2011 10:19AM

Still new to the tiger wrap, but my higest level of success seems to have occurred so far by applying the epoxy just after I mixed it and it's in its most liquified form. For me it seems to have soaked in quickly and the air displacement of the thread saturation quickly resolved itself (no CP used). I then give a touch up with the torch for any visable bubbles and let it do its thing.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 09, 2011 11:06PM

I always use CP on tiger wraps. I tried doing it without CP one time and I didn't have good results. It has been especially helpful on the top layer of thread.

jeremy

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.jax.centurytel.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 03:41AM

We most agree that heavy coats trap air that results in to bubbles. So if you intend not to use CP. May I recommend applying a vary thin coat for the first coat. remove all excess, just apply and wipe off. Then wait 10 to 15 minutes and apply a second coat remove excess and wait another 15 minutes now fill in all the low spaces and leval out this should give you a nice even coat with no bubbles or waves. I like multi thin coats

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 09:14AM

Also the light finishes will release bubbles more then the heavy will.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bob Caulkins (---.doc.wa.gov)
Date: January 10, 2011 09:51AM

I think I should clarify about my not using CP. My tiger wraps have been with metallic threads. I know that some say they can be tricky and they're right. when I first tried the tiger on a test blank I used several color combos to come up with the one that best matched the dominant colors of the rod. Thanks again guys for your advice!

With regular thread I would say that CP is important. Just to answer the question for myself I did a strip of yellow and black. When I hit it with finish, calling it subdued would be an understatement. I am in full agreement with what Bill says with light coats for the wrap. I am very appreciative that I was referred to this site. It has really sped up my learning process. I think my next target will be diamond wraps, and moving to learning to do weaves. Don't think I could have done it without you guys.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster