I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel position
Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 08, 2011 02:03PM

just finished a 7' spinning rod, brought up a couple of questions on placement. there have been discussions on here about balance vs. weight, thats no exactly what i am asking,
do you determine reel placement bacause of handle style split grip etc. handle length..type of seat, or what feels right,
also will reel placement affect the casting distance measureably or not at all. the longer rod is mainly for a little more distance is it not so do you need to keep as much blank in front or what.

while my rods for me don't have to be perfectly balanced, the longer ones can be a tad tip heavy i was just wondering if there is a point of diminished returns based on where you put the reel.

thanks for any replys, funny i know what i want to ask but when it comes time to type it out it don't seem to come out right.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel position
Posted by: Lou Auret (---.sip.mem.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 08, 2011 02:16PM

The nice thing about building custom rods is that you can put the reel seat exactly where it feels most comfortable for you or your customer.
Once the reel seat position is determined, you can position your guides to work best for that.
Of course what 'best' means is all in the eyes of the custom builder or his client. When i am building travel rods the main criteria are way different to when i am building for a person with limited range of motion in his arms , or he has small hands or big hands or..............

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 08, 2011 07:02PM

Even with the lightest of blanks, in my experience, in order to achieve neutral balance around the reel foot, the distance to the butt will be too long for most people. It will catch on clothing for many techniques, especially jigging/plastics.

I place my reels to fit the user of the rod, not to balance the rod, which appears unacheivable in most cases. And I don't add balance weight. I would rather have light than balance. Put a lure on and all of a sudden you're not balanced any more.

Date: January 09, 2011 12:51AM

not looking to balance, curious about casting distance based on distance from reel to tip, if there is a big difference, i know moving a guide can change distance

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2011 04:41PM

Jim,
If you move the reel back 5 inches, you are effectivly making your rod 5 inches longer with respect to casting distance. Can you tell the diffference in casting - quite probably. Will it be a significant difference, not likely.

I think it is more important that the rod be functional and work for you than to try to get the most casting distance out of a rod.
If you really wanted to get the most casting distance of a given rod length, you would have the back reel foot mouted flush with the butt of the rod. But this would make a very unfriendly rod to use as a fishing tool.

On the other hand, this is how many Salmon rods are built. i.e. the back reel foot is essentially mounted flush with the rod butt. Then, there is a very long fore grip to allow the user to balance the rod as needed, by simply moving his hand up and down the long fore grip while fishing. This makes for a nice user friendly rod, when mooching when you really need to watch the tip for a slight bite.

Roger

Date: January 10, 2011 07:08AM

the spinning rod i built for a customer (christmas present from wife) went to a bass tourney this past weekend, hoping to get some feed back on this rod today.
thanks for the replys

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster