I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides on opposite sides of the rod?
Posted by: Jeff Shields (12.97.229.---)
Date: January 06, 2011 11:39AM

Hey everyone,

I saw a rod like this in an antique store. Please excuse my ignorance but would someone please explain the reasoning and use of the 2 guides on exact opposite sides of the rod at the same location?

[]

Thanks so much, Jeff
www.shieldski.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides on opposite sides of the rod?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 06, 2011 11:47AM

If you're talking about older wood rods with a tulip top and guides on both sides, it stems from the fact that wood rods tend to take a set. So with guides on both sides you could fish the rod on one side for a few days, then flip and fish it on the other side. This kept the rod from taking a permanent set.

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.agr.ca)
Date: January 06, 2011 11:48AM

This is a bamboo boat rod. Under extended, heavy, load the bamboo can take a set (curve). The purpose of the guides on opposite sides is to allow for the set to be removed by putting the next heavy load on the opposite side.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Jeff Shields (12.97.229.---)
Date: January 06, 2011 11:52AM

Excellent. Thanks so much for the info. So would they just flip the tulip tip-top to the other side of the rod as well? What about the reel seat??

Thanks, Jeff

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 06, 2011 12:09PM

Jeff, Without looking at the photo,(which I cant) The reason for guides on both sides of the rod is to prevent the rod from taking a set or warping in an arc after fishing for a long time. The next time out the rod would be spun or turned up to the other set of guides. By alternating use of this method was a way of keeping the rod straight.
If anyone would like a rod like that to work on, I have a shop owner that has accumulated about 2 dozen of such rods, some with agate guides and German silver hardware. Just last Saturday He approached Me with wanting to know how to get rid of these rods.So, If anyone is interested I can E-mail you their phone number and you can hammer out the details on your own.They are very old rods, some have logos and most are complete.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 06, 2011 12:41PM

The seat has a ferrel that allows it to turn.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 06, 2011 07:28PM

Man, those agate guides must be worth a few bucks if they are useable.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: January 06, 2011 11:08PM

Neil, I dont know how much the worth is but,He had a pile of rods (20-30) that I think were all good enough to be refurbished and like I said in my post some had agate guides and tops with German silver seats,ferrules,hosels(winding checks) along with some checkering on the butts.I've seen a lot of old rods but some of these were more on the line of a custom builders workmanship.
I picked out one rod that has agate guides first up from the reel and then has tube or trumpet guides (three) and an agate tulip at the tip.This rod is unique in that it has a spigot ferrule to join the butt.The butt and fore grip are wrapped with cane. I may have to put up a picture of this one.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.jax.centurytel.net)
Date: January 07, 2011 12:42AM

You do know some of those rods may be antique and worth money. I would say the Agate guides are in any shape at all they are worth 5 bucks up to????? or what ever the seller wants

Good Wraps Bob

Date: January 07, 2011 02:10AM

Bob, Yes I do know that agate guides have some value but, I have no control of the pricing,nor am I advising him. I think it would be best for someone to buy the complete rod, more value as whole. As far as $5 per agate guide, it depends on condition,frame style,size, and demand. But $5 is a minimum.You can just about buy some SIC guides for $5 and their in mass production at this time.There are many factors on pricing when it comes to vintage items.Buyer and seller both have to do their homework for a comfortable sale.
These rods are as collectible as furniture,tin signs,gas pumps, ect. and a lot of times they are offered free. I myself have a corner full of rods that were given to me by friends and shop owners. Most of the rods that are in better condition are newer rods and fly a logo such as Montaque,Somers Point.Some come from JAPAN that are nicely made and some have script writing which after removing the wraps you'll find they have left all their layout measurements hidden by the wraps.These people put so much of themselves into these rods that sometimes I get the feeling the original builder is looking over my shoulder.When you work on one of these rods, you have to remind yourself of how long ago it was made and that its not just another rod, its from another era that will never be duplicated and can never return. Sorry for such a long post but I have a special interest in vintage rods. Thanks.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.jax.centurytel.net)
Date: January 07, 2011 04:55AM

Hi Denis You made excellent points. I just threw the 5 bucks in as low ender. I have a set of Agate guides that have German Nickel/Silver frames. Made in the 30's and have never been on a rod. I have been offered 150 bucks for them. I think I paid 2.75 at a garage sale 20 years ago. I have been building rods for 38 years. Nothing in fishing gear looses its value after a time During those 30 years I also repaired reels. When I retired 11 years ago I sold all my old reel parts (what I called junk) to a reel collector. I never threw anything away and I was always buying old reels for Pennies on the dollar. Any way I made over 3 grand in old parts. Today I still buy vintage,rods, reels and plugs. If you ever watch Pickers on the History channel an see what they pay for a old beat up oil sign an see what they sold it for. There is gold in them thar fishing gear

Good Wraps Bob

Date: January 07, 2011 11:05AM

Bob, Your another smart guy, and I have a feeling that after this thread is over we wont be able get those old rods as easily as we have in the past.I also have stored agates that I accumulated and some are NOS that I acquired when a shop owner was retiring.
There are many facets to rodbuilding, weather it be innovation & performance, decorative, or repair & restoration. Its whatever you enjoy the most but, its a good clean and honorable way to stay active. Bob, stay in touch, I enjoyed it.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster