I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly rod guides
Posted by: wayne vaughn (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 06, 2011 11:09AM

I am want to start building custom fly and surf rods. I have sarted with a fly rod. My first question is: I ordered some single foot ceramic guides and tip top but I don't like the looks of the tip top. Can I use a standard tip top without causing too much problems? Secondly, can I use a spead bit to bore out the handle for the reel seat hood? My thanks to anyone who can respond! Wayne

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly rod guides
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 06, 2011 11:13AM

How long and what weight fly rod And if you have any scrap blanks you can make your own reamers for reaming the handle.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 06, 2011 11:49AM

Yes, you can use any tip top that you would like

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 06, 2011 02:55PM

yes and yes

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 06, 2011 03:03PM

I was just thinking if it is a 6 wt or lower I would use wire guides

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2011 03:50PM

I agree with Bill on this one.
I would use wire guides all of the way, including the tip.
There is really not much reason to use a ceramic or other high end guide on a fly rod. You will also appreciate the much much lighter weight of the wire guides compared to any type ringed guide.

Roger

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 06, 2011 06:20PM

Any tip-top??? As in boat rod tip-top??? Definitely NO!! I like the REC Recoil tip-tops but they are not good looking - but they are the lightest and do make a difference in performance. The other options are chromed tip-tops made for fly rods.

Ceramics on any fly rod - except the stripper - will rob the blank of performance. i.e. it will feel "soggy"
Herb

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 06, 2011 09:03PM

If you mean a "spade bit" they can be pretty touchy when cutting cork and can catch and gouge easily. If you have them, a Forstner bit works better and cleaner.

Date: January 07, 2011 08:00AM

I use a conventional hole saw that I have tweaked to cut the exact size hole riquired. I then use progressively smaller diameter saws to ream-out the inside portions.

If you send your email I will send pics and results.
Herb

Date: January 07, 2011 09:55AM

Phil,
Thanks, that was good advise on the bit. I found one at Lowe's.

Date: January 07, 2011 10:05AM

Herb,
Thanks for your advise. What are your thoughts on single foot wire and snake guides?

Posted by: dave schaub (---.scansafe.net)
Date: January 07, 2011 11:34AM

I have gotten so spoiled by REC guides, I dont use anything else on rods down to
2wt. I really dont like the way snakes look. Since I am pretty rough on equipment,
the RECs are just what I need and they are good for casting.

Date: January 07, 2011 10:57PM

Wayne,
Like Dave, I only use REC recoils. Mostly single foot. I just installed recoil snakes on an 11wt that I overline with a #12 line and I was pleasantly surprised. I am tempted to use the snakes on rods that can handle the extra weight of the second wrap.
But they will always be REC recoils. I use Fuji Ti SiC for the stripper.

I have seen too many chromed guides corrode on hi end factory rods - even on hi end custom - rods to ever use them.
Regards,
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster