I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Graphite tube rod extension
Posted by: Andrew Grant (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: January 05, 2011 01:29PM

I am trying to extend a Phenix X-13 crankbait rod to 7'-11" (5" extension plus 3.5" of overlap), and I want to use a graphite tube like the ones available from Mudhole. The problem is that the butt is 14.8mm and I can't find a tube that will fit it. Everything I have found is either too small (14mm inside diameter) or way to big. I would use a piece of a blank, but I don't have anything that is broken large enough. Matagi has a tube that would work, but I would like to find one domestically if available before I pay for international shipping. Anyone know of something that would work? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Graphite tube rod extension
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 05, 2011 01:38PM

You could always build the entire handle on the larger tube, then oversleeve that onto your rod blank, using or inserted whatever amount is required to achieve your desired final length. Take a look at the online article on extending rod blanks just to see what options you have.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: January 05, 2011 01:52PM

I'm pretty sure the MudHole tube is 15mm ID. I have one at home and can measure it later this week.

[www.mudhole.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2011 01:54PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2011 02:23PM

Andrew,
Go to your local good will or salvation thrift store.
You can often find old rods there for 50 cents or a dollar. See if you can find a few to chop up to get you some blank material to use to extend rods.
You will often need a full length rod, to be able to chop out the right 3-10 inch section of rod to extend a blank.
A pretty cheap source for inexpensive graphite material.

Also, many of the bait and sporting good shops have fishing rod recycle bins. If nearby, go through those bins to find some rods for blank material. Generally, the cost of these rods is 0.

Take care
REW

Posted by: Andrew Grant (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: January 05, 2011 03:48PM

Tom, I was trying to avoid cutting the blank to save the warranty, but cutting or an inside extension are possibilities if I can't find anything. Chuck, or anyone else that has the Mudhole piece handy, it would be great to know the inside diameter. I thought it was 14mm, but if it is 15mm that would fit perfect. Roger, I will look around for some cheap used rods, thanks for the idea. Thanks for the help.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2011 04:52PM

Graphite tube - GT19X16MM @ Mud Hole Custom Tackle is just slightly under 14 MM inside diameter.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: John Kitch (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 06, 2011 05:26AM

For an extension of only 5" I would glue apiece old rod section into the butt end to get the 5 inches. Then go to Wal-mart and buy a crappie stick, one of those telescoping ones, for about $7. That provides all sizes of tubes to build the handle on and slip down over the extension. This method may add a few oz. to the overall weight, but it's behind the reel seat.
Anyway, I have done this on a couple of rods and it works well.
John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster