I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: micro guide knots
Posted by: Eric Green (---.scansafe.net)
Date: January 06, 2011 03:54PM

Roger,

I guess more than anything it's time on the water, feel, and confidence. I guess I should have mentioned most of my bass fishing is in no worse than stained water, if I was fishing muddy a shorter leader would be no problem. I don't have any scientific study results, but did fish with a friend last weekend at a powerplant lake here in Texas and we were both fishing identical carolina rigs with the same plastic bait. He had a 20lb flouro leader, I had 15. I caught 12 fish on the rig during the day and he caught 0. We caught fish on other things that day, but when we looked back at the carolina rig catching there was a big difference.

I always seem to seek stealth, be it leader length or weight, boat noise, anything that might give the fish a tip that I am there.

Eric Green

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (38.127.195.---)
Date: January 06, 2011 04:30PM

I fish exclusively saltwater. This time of year we have a speckled trout fishery that is world class. We're fishing a warm water discharge and it's like fish in a barrel at times. For me the longer leader does two things. One, it allows me to be a bit more stealthy, and two, it allows me to keep the lure I'm using in the strike zone longer. In the spring, summer, and fall, I have no problem using a 2ft leader on my rods.

Posted by: Cheng Moua (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 06, 2011 05:28PM

I would like to say that unless you guys were casting to the same spot, working the lure the EXACT same way, and still you were the only one to catch those fish then yes it COULD be that the leader length and weight that gave you the extra edge...but if not, then you prob just had the right cast at the right time.

LEGENDARY CREATIONS CUSTOM RODS
Maplewood, MN

Posted by: Eric Green (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2011 10:45PM

Cheng,

Could be so, but we were dragging the carolina rig slowly over offshore humps so not really casting towards anything in particular. It wasn't the length of the leader in that case, just the lighter pound test must have been less visible to the fish. 2ft leaders may be fine for most cases, I just choose to go longer and reduce the chance the fish won't bite cause she sees the braid. I suppose the shorter leader will also make it possible to use the rig with micros, but I save those rods for my flourocarbon rigs.

Eric Green

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.234.22.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 08, 2011 12:46AM

Wait a little while and start using the Power Pro hollow core and a rigging needle.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 09, 2011 05:13PM

The easiest, smallest line to line knot i've found is the Albright. It uses only two thicknesses of the fat line, unlike the uni-uni (which I have used for years also). I watched the Sebile video, and I might try it, but it seems like a lot of trouble for what you gain, and I'll bet if you don't do it just right, you may see your fish of the season disappear. My experience also indicates that there is a relationship between the length of the leader and how well it goes through the guides on casting. I don't have a formula, but have found often that if it gets much longer than the rod, it doesn't go through the guides well. (Even 6 mm fly guides.) I shorten it and often that solves the issue.

Having said that, however, I haven't found a knot that reliably goes through the 4mm micros I used on an ultralight spin rod. I've concluded that if I want to use a leader, it has to be very short as to not go through the guides, or I have to use bigger guides.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster