I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
micro guide knots
Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (38.127.195.---)
Date: January 04, 2011 04:16PM

When joining braid to fluoro leaders what knot do ya'll use? I'm trying to find a knot that will pass through size 3 and 4 micro guides on a bait caster set up. I have 20lb power pro going to either 20lb or 14lb fluoro leader. I have been using a uni to uni and even tried a loop to loop but the knot always hangs up in the first guide after the tip. Anyone have a good knot to use for a set up like I mentioned?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: micro guide knots
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 04, 2011 04:29PM

I use the uni. Buy some UV Knot Sense and coat the knot - it will slide right through!

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 04, 2011 04:41PM

what brand micros? size 4 fujis will pass about anything.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Josh Clawson (---.static.midco.net)
Date: January 04, 2011 04:55PM

Modified albright. One of the more compact line to leader knots.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: January 04, 2011 07:18PM

My personal favorite is the nail knot splice. Easy to tie, strong and streamlined. As noted, Knot Sense will assist. [www.anglersworkshop.com]

Posted by: Dave Winn (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: January 04, 2011 07:26PM

utube 'How to tie a Sebile Knot" it is the smallest I have ever seen, way smaller than the double uni I had been using & broke at 95% when i broke it on a scale

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2011 07:26PM by Dave Winn.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.nrflva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 04, 2011 07:32PM

Thanks for the replies, I have been using the Batson micros guides. In 3 and 4. I have had to use a "short" leader 18 to 20 inches. I would rather be able to use a 6-8ft leader if I could. I'll try the knots ya'll suggested. Thanks again.

Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 04, 2011 08:08PM

If you are willing, please let us know your experiences. Each knot has a different degree of difficulty associated with tying it. It would be good to get your opinion on which knot is reasonably easy as well as sufficently small.

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: Eric Green (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2011 09:48PM

I use the J knot for most braid to flouro splices, but use the slim beauty when I need a very thin profile.

Eric Green

Posted by: Rich Gorden (---.gnv.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 04, 2011 10:00PM

I only use the sebile knot with heavier mono (>20#) It's hard to get it to grab smaller diameter mono. I'll use a double uni on the smaller stuff. You can't find a stronger knot than the sebile, and it passes through guides better than anything else. It gets easier to tie with practice.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2011 04:41AM

Craig,
The easy solution is to use short leaders and never reel the line leader knot through the tip or guides.
There are very very few cases where a leader longer than 2 feet or so is necessary. Then, when casting, it is not a big deal to not reel any closer than two feet from the reel.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2011 08:49AM

Sebile knot

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 05, 2011 10:01AM

Thanks, I watched the sebile knot video and am working on learning it. I use the short leaders now, but would like the ability to have a longer leader for my winter speckled trout fishing. If I find that the sebile knot works for me, I'll come back and report.

Posted by: John Pope (205.171.62.---)
Date: January 05, 2011 11:46AM

How does that Sebile Knot do when reeling back in? Looks like it should cast fine but might hang up on that tag end on the way back in.

Posted by: Eric Green (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2011 08:41PM

I always use a long flouro leader with braid (4-6'), so the knot comes through the guides. I believe a 2' leader is too short and is only slightly better than braid straight to lure.

Eric Green

Posted by: David Andress (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 05, 2011 09:18PM

check out the SIG knot ..

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.nrflva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 05, 2011 11:57PM

I tried the sebile knot but could not make it bite. It kept slipping on both my 20lb flouro and 12 lb flouro. I'm sure it was me and not the knot. I went back to the uni to uni with 14lb fireline and 12lb flouro. I trimmed it close and the knot passes through the size 4's with no problem, I have a spinning rod with size 3 micros and the same knot joining the same line work on it as well.

I have size 3 micros on a 6'8 medium action St. Croix avid blank with a 200 curado for a reel. I have 20lb PP on the reel and when I use the 12lb flouro with the uni to uni connection it won't go though the guides. Not sure why exactly. Well it does go through but its a tight fit and I'm scared that the knot will knock a ring out. Hope this info is helpful.

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2011 07:53AM

Why wouldn't you just swap out the 3's and 4's for 5's or whatever smallest size will work with your line and the knots you need to pass?

Date: January 06, 2011 08:47AM

Cause that's the easy way out! LOL I did think about that. I've been fishing those rods for two years and the 18-20 inch leader works well 90% of the time. Its just this time of year where I need it longer. I may build a new rod with 4's or 5's on it for this time of year.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2011 12:05PM

Eric,
When you say that you t hink that a 2 foot leader is too short, do you have any fish catching or not catching test results where you have only changed the leader length.

I often think that folks do things based on what others are doing, rather than cold hard test results.

Remember, fish aren't rocket scientests. They are normally looking for something to eat, or to give them an instinct feeding reaction. Do, you really think that the fish puts two and two together - measures the distance from the bait to the line and decides to not eat or to eat?

I only ask the question, because I have found that there are very few cases for a leader at all. But if I do need a leader, I have found that I almost never need a leader that is longer than 2 feet.

Roger

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster