I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod life?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2011 01:16PM

When you, as a custom builder build a rod, how long do you expect it to last and how many years of use to you expect the rod to see?

Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod life?
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2011 01:36PM

With proper care and use I plan it to last a life time with some maintenance on the guides along the way. However the way I see most people around here treat rods I would give it 6 years max. It all depends on the type of rod. Mine are 95% salt water , They tend to take a lot of abuse.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: January 03, 2011 01:40PM

For those who know the actual value of a custom built rod, I think it would be many years of use since most are above average fishermen. However there are still many above average fishermen who a custom rod may not last very long for. One would have to know how that individual takes care of their fishing equipment. I'm thinking a custom built rod would be better taken care of than those who just buy them off the rack due to the uniqe nature of the tool. I thought I heard somewhere that St. Croix thought the average buyer bought a rod every three years but could be wrong on that. Unless one knew how many rods were produced each year it would be difficult to get a handle on. I'm thinking every two to three years might be right for off the rack rods, but it would be harder to put to actual numbers for custom builders and fishermen. I know of a custom builder who has built rods for his kids and grand kids and they are well into their adult years and the rods are still going strong. I expect my personal builds to last a lifetime but even then stuff happens. I hadn't broken a rod for many many years until two years ago, I broke a very nice Shikari due to my own negligence. Hard to put to numbers I suspect for the custom guys.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 03, 2011 01:48PM

I've built rods that are in use with over 20 years of service and others that are only good for about 5-6 years. Strange - the people who use them the most / rely on them for charter fishing seem to not care for them as much as private individuals. As Freddy has already posted with reasonable care - simply rinsing in clean water - will easily double the useful life of a rod. I also build mostly saltwater rods primarily for trolling and they get beaten up pretty badly - of course they are used almost every day from April to December so there are some things that are expected. The main problems are fading on thread, corrosion/salt build up on the guide frames and occasional loosening of nylon gimbals on Stuart Tuff Butts (caused by anglers not fish twisting the rod in rod holders).

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: January 03, 2011 01:53PM

Rods i build for others i sort of assume 4 to 5 years life.
There are some folks so careless i just stop building for them.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 03, 2011 02:21PM

For what it's worth - most commercial manufacturers view the life of a fishing rod as being 3 years. I suspect custom builders hope for much longer than that.

Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 03, 2011 03:24PM

I'll say maybe 6 years. Custom or not about 3 weeks out of the door and customers treat them just like any other rod they bought in the store.
Then again they are made to fish and fish hard they should be. Thats what we want.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: January 03, 2011 04:16PM

I warranty my work for 10 years and the blank warranty is up to the manufacturer. To me 10 years is the lifetime of a rod that being used. I do however primarily build freshwater rods.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 03, 2011 05:36PM

I have a Herters glass fly rod that I made in 1963 with the materials that were available at that time. I haven't used it much recently, but it appears that everything on the rod is as built except for the windings. It looks like the varnish has aged and failed in some spots. This tells me that if one takes care of a rod, especially one made with materials we have today, it should last almost indefinitely. Of course the more you use it the more opportunities for mistakes, like stepping on it in a boat or snagging it on some trees, or breaking it putting it into and out of a car.

I expect the rods I have made for my son and grandkids will be around and useful long after I'm gone.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2011 06:17PM

I guess the question is how long will the finish and thread wraps hold up. We know that exposure to UV rays has an effect on the finish. I know some guys that store the rods on a porch and they get sun light every day,others like myself store them indoors away from sunlight. The rods on charter boats are hopefully out in the sun daily. This all has a bearing on the longevity of a rod.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 03, 2011 07:31PM

Roger,

I immagine that the life of a rod is really going to be up to the user. I have rods that I built 30 years ago that are still is great condition. I have had to re-wrap the guides over the years but as far as the rest of the rod, I still have the same hypalon grips on it and the same real seat. Granted I am very anal regarding the care of my rods I always wash off after use no matter if I blue water fish or fresh water fish. I use mild soap on the entire rod after every use and and rinse off thuroughly. Most of the work I have done for my customers over the years are re-wraps and new builds. Just my two cents Roger. I have many Cal Star, Sabre, Lamiglas, and Fenwick rods that are at least 12 years old that are just like new, a few dings here and there but work just fine.

Tight Lines,

John Hernandez
SoCal

Posted by: Eric Green (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2011 09:38PM

I take good care of my rods and my saltwater inshore rods still tend to show some corrosion and stress on the finish/wraps after 3-6 years. My freshwater bass rods are all in great shape after many years - some 20+. Keep them inside in climate control and don't ever bang them around and they should last a lifetime. I have repaced a few old varnished wraps.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns14.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 04, 2011 06:48AM

Rod life depends on a few things:- How much time they spend out in the elements. How well they are cleaned and how they are stored. Saltwater rods need to be cleaned really well on return paying attention to guide frames and they need to be stored out of sunlight. I've got a couple that are 30 odd years old and still in good condition. Guys that realise how much work goes into building one probably look after them better than guys that don't.
ESFNEM Col

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster