I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Exposed thread after cut
Posted by: Paul Weiler (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: January 02, 2011 09:25PM

Hi guys, new to the site and just getting into rod building.

I'm re-building my Grandfathers old spinning rod for my first project. I tied half of the first guide and my blade wasn't tight enough to the wrap when cutting the thread leaving a small amount of thread sticking up. What are my options to fix this???

Thanks for any help.

Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Exposed thread after cut
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 02, 2011 10:15PM

After the first coat of finish drys, cut the "nub" off with a single edge razor blade. Put the finish coat on and the scar disappears.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2011 10:55PM

Paul,
The cleanest thing to do, is to cut off the wrap, rewrap, and recut closer to the threads.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 02, 2011 11:15PM

There is absolutely no reason at all to cut anything off, just do what Jay said like everyone else does

Date: January 02, 2011 11:42PM

Cool, thanks guys!

paul

Posted by: joseph arvay (---.sub-75-207-19.myvzw.com)
Date: January 03, 2011 01:29AM

Just make sure that razor is CLEAN! Most of the ones I have come with a sheen of oil on them, likely to prevent rust and sticking together in the packing. I knew exactly where I cut off the tag years ago because the 2nd coat did not want to stay in that spot because of the oil that was left there.

If you're going to cut tags after the first coat, wash the blade first as it doesn't take much oil to repel the epoxy.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 03, 2011 08:03AM

You can also turn so the end is at the 180 an run a bic lighter under so it burns off most of the frayed end. -- Carefully so as not to burn the rest of the thread and unravel it all. Don't touch the flame to the thread. just a little heat from the lighter.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 03, 2011 09:27AM

I do as Bill, if there is a nub after first coat cut , don't sand off. Then finish epoxy

Dave von Doehren
PRRODS......If man built it , man can fix it.and if man built it man can break it !

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 03, 2011 10:12AM

I use the lighter - before - first coat of finish. Then if a thick coat it may just disappear.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 03, 2011 11:03AM

Thanks again guys! I need proper razors; I can't find actual hobby blades.

Paul

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2011 11:03AM

Billy,
If a person only wants a single coat of finish on the guides, then the best fix is to cut the thread off, rewrap, recut, and refinish.
If you want multiple coats of finish, then of course you can always build up the finish, trimming the nubs between coats.

It is also a good time to get the technique down for a close trim.
Put a fair amount of tension on the thread, to slightly open the spaces between the wraps.
Trim closely, using a sharp blade, or even better using a thin fly tying scissor.
Then, use a burnishing tool to press the end of the wrap back under the wraps.
Burnish the wraps, and then use a non smoking flame - like an alchol burner to flame the threads and remove any fuzz or ends that might be protruding.
When done, there should be virtually no tag ends and nothing to stick up on the first coat of finish.

Take care
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2011 11:24AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: January 03, 2011 12:13PM

Paul, do what Jay said. I also use a fresh single edge blade, cleaned first with alcohol, to trim any nubs I find after the first coat. Here in Minnesota we have lots of static cling during the winter. Many times the little cut off nubs stick to the wrap after you cut it, so I just use a piece of blue painter's masking tape and I dab them up as I cut them off.

The goal is to avoid the nubs, and that comes with practicing the proper technique. They can be avoided... totally. If you do a search here (select all dates) for trimming thread you will find lots of info about using blades, fly-tying scissors, and cuticle nippers.

For me, razor blades near thread wraps is like a ping-pong ball in a room full of mouse traps. I tried the scissors and that didn't work for me. Mike Barkley told me about the Walgreen's cuticle nipper and I like it. Rule #1 still applies (don't be stupid). It is a sharp tool that will ruin your wrap if you do it wrong. I have a set of Mag-Eyes that I use for trimming. It's amazing what you can see under magnification!

If you are going for one thick coat you can trim close and flame it. That's what a lot of guys do. Or you can re-wrap like Roger said. After all, it's just a fishing rod and you are just learning to wrap. Have fun with it! And welcome!

Chuck

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 03, 2011 12:59PM

I love the cuticle nippers. Best thing ever made! [www.rodbuilding.org]] Lifetime guarantee and free sharpening. I have two and alternate sending them in for sharpening every year or two, Less than $20 at Walgreen's Bill Stevens showed them to me at the big show a few years ago. I consider them indispensable

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 03, 2011 03:29PM

Go with Jay on this. I actually stopped worrying about cutting so close to dry threads and nicking something. I cut close. Snip the nub with a sharp pair of nail clippers after you epoxy. It's way easier.

Posted by: lee smith (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2011 06:57PM

I'm new here also, but I use a different technique. I put my pull string in about 8 to 10 wraps prior to finish. Once I get those wraps on, then I pull the pull string until it meets the last wrap and tightens up. This is when I cut the thread, About 1/16th of an inch out from the bundle, pull it on through and it's hid every time. Just make sure that you have enough line to make it through 4 or 5 wraps. I usually bend the string over right before i cut and measure midway back to where my pull string comes out.

Just one more idea in the sea of ideas!

Lee

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: January 04, 2011 12:40AM

When I got back into rod building after a 25 year hiatus, I had a terrible time trying to use a razor blade to cut thread... I would usually cut the whole wrap off, LOL! I use dedicated, name brand nail clippers now (basically the same idea as cuticle nippers). It makes sense... they are designed to cut close without drawing blood. Perfect for rod wrapping.

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: January 07, 2011 12:17PM

lee smith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm new here also, but I use a different
> technique. I put my pull string in about 8 to 10
> wraps prior to finish. Once I get those wraps on,
> then I pull the pull string until it meets the
> last wrap and tightens up. This is when I cut the
> thread, About 1/16th of an inch out from the
> bundle, pull it on through and it's hid every
> time. Just make sure that you have enough line to
> make it through 4 or 5 wraps. I usually bend the
> string over right before i cut and measure midway
> back to where my pull string comes out.
>
> Just one more idea in the sea of ideas!
>
> Lee

Hey!! Great idea Lee....no nubs with that technique.

I love this site.....I learn something everytime I log on.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster