I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Razor blade holder
Posted by: philip hardy (---.midd.adsl.virginmedia.com)
Date: January 02, 2011 01:26PM

At the risk of "Teaching Granny to suck eggs", I use a bulldog clip to hold a double edged razor blade to cut the threads when wrapping.
Just thought I'd share with you all as it really is the safest, simplest way to hold the blades.
Philip

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Razor blade holder
Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.23.29.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 02, 2011 01:37PM

Hmm, never thought of doing that. I buy the double edged blades (sorta hard to find these days), as they are a lot sharper than the single edged "industrial) blades. I cut them into two pieces, with scissors, then put a masking tape "grip" on the back side. That way, I can get two uses from each blade.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 02, 2011 01:44PM

Magnet, flop blade over onto it, same place every time, wont fall off.

I used old advertising FREE refrigerator magnets, cut them to size and epoxy them, upside down of course, to your wrapper in the proper place for you. Easy, replaceable, free.

DR

Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 02, 2011 02:55PM

Many oriental markets sell the Kai disposable razors, which are as sharp as a double edge blade, and when they dull, you can break double edge blades in half and insert them into the handle.

[lapeerbeauty.com]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 03, 2011 08:07AM

I have been using one single edge blade for - years - by running it over a small piece of 400 sandpaper 5 -8 times each side.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Hank Turner (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 03, 2011 01:51PM

Phil, what is a bulldog clip? Where can I get one? thanks

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: January 03, 2011 02:29PM

Great idea, now my wife won't complain about all the blood stains on the carpet near my wrapping bench!
Thanks,
Buzz

Posted by: philip hardy (62.189.57.---)
Date: January 04, 2011 03:52AM

Hi Hank,
BVulldog clips are used in offices to hold sheets of paper together and come in a variety of sizes and strengths. They are made of a sprung steel open tube with 2 small levers attached to them which are used to open the clip up.
They cost pennies over here in the UK.

Here's a link showing them.

[www.google.co.uk]

Philip

Posted by: Hank Turner (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 04, 2011 01:15PM

thanks Phil

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster