I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

first build rod blank
Posted by: Rick Schafer (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 02, 2011 08:15AM

Lookin for a cheap but functional blank 6'6-7' ( Grafite) for fist build on a bass rod can you guys give me some opptions??

Or should I use an old rod I already have for the learning curve?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: first build rod blank
Posted by: Garey Elkins (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 02, 2011 08:30AM

I pulled a few old Berkly Lightning rods out of the shed before I did the reel thing. It helped build my confidence to learn the basics. I have built a few rods from Mudhole's CRB ans Jann's Netcraft IM6 series that won't break the bank though and have been very pleased with them.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 02, 2011 08:40AM

There are several out there that will not cost you much. But for bass fishing, would need to know more on how you are planning on using the rod. Bass fishing rods are so specific to different technigues, it is hard to pick just one for doing everything.

Posted by: Rick Schafer (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 02, 2011 09:38AM

I think i'm goin to use an older Berkley Bionix rod i have in the corner of garage. Was out digging around this morning and found it in a stack of old rods of mine. it will be for one of my boys so it doesn't have to be a specific tech rod more of a multi purpose deal. It's a 6'6 m f rod. i think using an old rod will help i'll already know were the spine is and guide positions. Goin to try the Micro guides and minima reel seats and some flashy thread. Will the micros be positioned the same as regular guides??

Thanks Guys!!

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 02, 2011 09:54AM

Rick;
You may want to consider spending some time and reading these threads. They will take some time to go through but will answer most of you questions on working with Micro guides. There are also a couple other Volumes I din't post

Vol 1: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Vol 2: [rodbuilding.org]

Vol 3: [rodbuilding.org]

Vol 4: [rodbuilding.org]

Vol 5: [rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2011 01:53PM

Rick,
Go to the good will or salavation army and pick up a dozen rods for 25 cents each.
Strip them down and practice on rebuilding them.

REW

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2011 10:19PM

Rick,
I would rebuild the one you have, just for grins. Then, you can find some really inexpensive new blanks form the sponsors on the left:
[www.mudhole.com]
[www.swamplandtackle.com]
[www.jannsnetcraft.com]
I like the idea of using new blanks just because you'll probably surprise yourself, and build a very good rod on your first or second try. I strongly suggest getting a book, or two, and reading them cover to cover and back again. check the sponsors on the left.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 03, 2011 08:49AM

Rick -
Doing the rebuild is a reasonable start on an addiction. I would however caution you that the guide positions will very, very likely be different than those on the original rod. The guide height (off the rod blank) and the ring diameters will be major factors in where the new guides will go. Others here have given you some excellent advice to do this one as a "test" but - as you also posted you are thinking of changing the reel seat, doing some flashy thread then I believe that - as George posted - you might be better off starting with a new mid-priced rod blank & all the parts you will need for a first build. Several of the sponsors here offer kits that will get you started and if you phone one of them they can help you with other choices/selections for parts.
Roger also gave you some good advice about Good Will / Salvation Army - or yard sales - or flea markets. If you start off doing repairs you will 1/ see what has or has not worked for others 2/ minimize your initial investment and 3/ Not potentially ruin a fishable rod.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 03, 2011 12:03PM

Rick,

I built my first couple of rods on Batson RX8+ blanks. I built them because I wanted some top shelf finesse casting blanks, and I wasn't disappointed. Sure, they aren't the prettiest builds out there, but I'm not so ashamed that they get hidden from view. I just don't see the purpose of building on a blank that you may not want to use later, unless you are giving it away.

Take a hard look at the Batson RX6 line of blanks, you can find just about any length, action, and power that you can get in the more expensive models and still come away with a rod that fishes far better than most factory rods marketed in the $100 class.

Doing a complete strip and rebuild can be time consuming and a challenge depending on what is going on in the handle area, and is not something I would try on a first build. I tried to go that route and the blank is still in the basement waiting for me to finish cleaning the epoxy from under the rear grip. They used some pretty tough stuff. However stipping and rewrapping a set of guides can be a good exercise in a simple repair.

Enjoy the craft!

Joe

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2011 01:13PM

Joe,
If you want to clean the epoxy from under the rear grip, the answer is heat.

Use a heat gun to soften the epoxy and then use a single edged razor blade, scraped perpendicular to the rod blank. It is pretty simple to remove if the right amount of heat is used to soften the epoxy, without overheating the blank.

Roger

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 03, 2011 02:51PM

Roger,

Thanks, I'll have to give it another go one of these days, and be a bit more generous with the heat than previous attempts. I've always erred on the sided of caution when applying heat.

Joe

Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 04, 2011 08:18PM

If you have the opportunity to attend the Expo, you will find numerous blanks in the $15 to $20 range from which to choose, as well as a lot of great information on rod building. Ask questions - these people love to talk about their craft!

Rick

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.rcmdva.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 05, 2011 03:54PM

I agree with Joe Vanfossen. I don't think you should begin building rods by making one you'll never use. On the other hand, I don't think I'd start with an RX8+, either. I built my first rod on a St Croix SCII blank and I still use it. It isn't the most elegant of rods but it is perfectly functional. If I knew then what I know now, I would likely have acquired a Rainshadow RX6. Of course, I don't know if they were even available then. If I could suggest one critical thing, it would be to find a mentor to help you through your first build. Putting together a fishing rod isn't rocket science. It can't be that hard because I do it. However, having someone looking over your shoulder who is aware of the short-cuts you can take, and the pitfalls that should be avoided, is priceless, IMO. There are plenty of folks here that can offer internet advice. I benefited from such help when I started. However, I also had a friend that had built rods before who guided me through my first rod. The result was a rod I still use today, ugly though it may be.
Slainte,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster