I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Who's wrapping?
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2010 11:17PM

OK, it's 45min from the year's end and I wonder how many rods are turning on a wrapper or dryer?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who's wrapping?
Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: December 31, 2010 11:28PM

I'm wrapping guides on one of them Loomis rods I got from you. Thanks for the e-mail card I got from ya. Hope you have a great rodbuilding new year!!

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 31, 2010 11:28PM

Repairs are waiting.The 1st is my sons birthday so , they'll have to wait until later in the evening.Good health and happiness to all.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2010 11:36PM

Just finished wrapping a Freshwater spin rod CP drying now

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2010 11:43PM

Not wrapping but I am turning a handle and gluing up a reel seat for a 4 wt fly rod.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Date: December 31, 2010 11:48PM

15 min left on the east coast but still got over 3 hrs here on the left coast

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 01, 2011 12:08AM

well, I was wrapping.....decoys... no rods tonight. gonna try and take out some ducks tomorrow. speaking of wrapping what would you pick Ray? Fish hawk or Pro Wrap?

Tom

Posted by: Jeff Davis (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 01, 2011 12:21AM

Got a rod on the dryer with 30 minutes to spare and watched the ball drop in NYC.
Have a Great New Year
Jeff

Date: January 01, 2011 12:35AM

I'm a fan of FishHawk thread but ProWrap is nice as well

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 01, 2011 12:47AM

Ray,
sounds good. I have two spools of Fishhawk and have been satisfied with it. I think that I might be switching over to a majority of Fishhawk this year. I am gonna try to pick a bunch of it up at the expo this year.

Tom

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: January 01, 2011 10:40AM

I was turning all last night-after an unfortunate "turn" of events.

I finished a 9 foot spinning rod made out of a 4 peice 10wt Tiger Eye blank (garnet thread, gold trim, Amtak ring lock guides, concept set-up). It was on the dryer, second coat of epoxy finish applied according to the Rodmaker library article. It really looked nice, my smoothest work to date. I go out to the hardware store and return to find my motor has worked it's way to the edge of the table and taken the rod with it to the floor damaging the half set up epoxy on about 1/2 of the guides. I let it harden and then spent the last 2 afternoons filing down the damaged epoxy lumps with a tiny set of files and some 320 and 600 grit paper. Yesterday afternoon, I applied a 3rd coat to the damaged wraps and put it back on the dryer. Fortunately it looks great-all but one wrap that is still a bit lumpy. I almost was going to re-wrap the whole thing, but it's a rod for me and no one else would notice an extra lump around one of the guides. Anyway, a good start to the New Year.

Happy New Year everyone.

Drew

Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 01, 2011 11:02AM

RAY & TOM,
Fish Hawk is good but ProWrap blows most all others away in color selection. I do see some difference in how tight the thread is twisted between the different brands out there.

Dave von Doehren
PRRODS......If man built it , man can fix it.and if man built it man can break it !

Posted by: Steve Cox (50.80.18.---)
Date: January 01, 2011 12:10PM

Had the g-kids N Y 's Eve. They go at noon today. G-daughter did a purple wrap and we kinda added some pink metallic to it. She especially enjoyed clipping the tag with the good nippers. Older brother even tried to add a trim wrap to his practice wrap and he put in the whip finisher and pulled the tag through. He chose to remove the tag with the scalpel. No blood, no foul! He likes to pick things up and hold them with the forcips. After they go today, I will put first coat of epoxy on the Viking Rod I am finishing for a guy in Minn....... and watch the Rose Bowl.

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.static.gci.net)
Date: January 01, 2011 01:06PM

I would love to be wrapping. I made a silly promise though.........I promised we would have the new house set up before I set my shop up. I am keeping track of the days the GF is "Too Tired" to make it to the new house after work. I will play them against her when my shop space is cleared out a bit more.......lol We stored our household goods in my shop to give them time to finish the house. Unfortunately it is hard to finish a house, when you forget to order flooring, and you live in Alaska. Everything gets to Alaska by ground, by boat, or by plane. It doesn't matter which means you request (except for plane) it take about a week to get up to Alaska, then always add on a couple of days for it to get lost to the right people. We are going to live in the area's that have flooring for now. When its all done I will have over 600sf of heated shop space with its own restroom, and about 750sf of garage space. I like to refer to it as a mancave with a house thingy attached........:)

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 01, 2011 02:16PM

Three in dryers by 6PM - then off to celebrate

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2011 07:19PM

Drew,

WOW ! UNDER STAND THAT !!! It just makes your heart sink doesn`t it?

That happened to me once. I now clamp everything t that moves to the table.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 03, 2011 03:39PM

I was wrapping a deco wrap for a split grip in the lower butt section. New Years is just another day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster