I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What size spinning reel seat
Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: December 29, 2010 03:17PM

On a bass spinning rod blank with a butt of about .500 inch, what size spinning reel seat would you use? I am planning on using a Fuji DPSM style.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What size spinning reel seat
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2010 03:20PM

If it were me, I'd size the seat to fit my hand and shim as necessary to fit the seat to the blank. There is no practical loss of sensitivity in doing this and it makes for a more comfortable assembly.

Others use exposed blank seats and prefer to fit the seat to the blank. If you know where the seat will be located, you can have your dealer size one for you.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 29, 2010 04:45PM

Greg I use a #17 or #18 and sometime a #20 depending on how big the customers hand is. People with big hands will see more comfort in a #18 0r 20 . People with normal sized hands will probably be comfortable with a #17. A #16 is too small for most men.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2010 05:08PM by Jay Hunt.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: December 29, 2010 05:25PM

I have found that 80% of my customers have had me use the A/T Aero comfort grip. Even my own personal builds have been done with them, and are a lot easier to grip and use especially in extended periods of fishing. I actually give them the choice with a couple of mock up blanks with both reel seats and let them make the decision for themself.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.133.29.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 29, 2010 07:32PM

I agree with the larger seat, for ergonomic reasons. I just had a guy here today who handled a rod with a 16, then one with an 18, and he commented on how much better the larger one felt.
But, when he handled one with an Aero, that's what he went with. That is really a nice reel seat.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: December 29, 2010 07:36PM

Smallest seat any factory G Loomis rod ever had was a 17 mm seat., noticed St Croix also uses at least a 17 mm even on their lightest powered rods.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: December 29, 2010 08:22PM

i use a DNPSM-16 or 17 for bass rods. Usually a 16 because i only using spinning gear for finesse tactics which typically mean smaller/lighter is better.
justin don't see the point in using a bigger one. i have big hands and find the 16 to be very comfortable

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: December 29, 2010 08:33PM

Thanks for the ideas. I got a 16, not really thinking about the o.d. just that it would fit, and it seemed too little. I am used to fly rod grips where you can size and shape as needed. I will check out the Aero grip, too.

Greg

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2010 12:26PM

Greg,
The comments on reel seat size are right on. The size should be dictated by the size of the fishermans hand, not the size of the rod blank.
I also agree on the use of the A/t comfort seat. It is becoming the reel seat of choice for many of my clients.

I do use a size 16 reel seat in the skeletal version, when I use a hidden hood concept. This is where I bury the non threaded portion of the reel seat in cork, and then shape the cork to fit the overall contour of the handle. That way, the user is contacting cork and no cold plastic or metal on the hands.

But for a conventional reel seat, I seldom use anything smaller thana size 17 and wll often use a size 18 or 20 depending on rod, blank, and user.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (205.185.132.---)
Date: December 30, 2010 05:43PM

I have a fairly small hand, but I use a size 20 seat even on UL spinning rods. I have used 18s and 17s, but like the feel of the 20.

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: December 31, 2010 01:50PM

In theory, when you start start sandwiching different materials together, it adds damping which can detract from sensitivity. With a shim, you have a sandwich of glue-shim-glue. With a reamed seat, you only have one layer - glue.

A shim could be lighter than the graphite, this is true, but sensitivity is not simply a matter of weight... it's stiffness to weight ratio.

Whether or not you would feel a difference in sensitivity from that one thing alone, I don't know... but a rod is a myriad of parts and placement, all things add up, the devil is in the details.

I would recommend a reel seat a size smaller than you need, then you can ream it for a perfect fit. If it's too big, you would need some type of shim.

I wish they made spinning seats which did not require a shim.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster