I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1 step up in power from 5S66MLF - XSB802.75 or XSB822.5?
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 29, 2010 12:11PM

I have a rod built on a 5S66MLF and love it. If I want to step slightly to fish heavier senkos, light carolina rigs and smallish crank baits, which is closer to what I need - XSB 822.5 or 802.75? Any input on those latter two blanks is appreciated. I will be building the rod casting, using a micro-spiral setup an ABU Revo reel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1 step up in power from 5S66MLF - XSB802.75 or XSB822.5?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2010 01:11PM

I don't think that the xsb 822.5 would be a good rod for your uses. This rod is a fine tipped drop shot rod and has a bit too light tip for your needs.

On the other hand, the 802.75 would be a pretty good rod to use. The tip is a bit heavier than the 822.5 and a bit overall heavier than the 5s66mlf.

The other option, and perhaps the best option would be to go to the 566mf rod. Basically the same rod that you have, except just overall a bit heavier.

I also personally have both the 5ss66mlf and the 5ss66mf for my fishing. These are the two rods that are in the boat all of the time. Depending on the jig weight and the water, depth - I use one or the other for the application.

Roger

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: December 29, 2010 01:15PM

5S69MLXF

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 29, 2010 05:13PM

I’m with Roger on the 822.5 for the same reasons, have not used the other blank so I can’t comment on it.

But the absolute best blank I’ve ever found for throwing Sinko’s has been the
Batson; RX8+C812 6'9" Medium Fast 8-14 1/4-5/8oz. 1.85oz. Senko Special

Have been using it a bunch for throwing double fluke rigs with smaller weights also, so I think it should work great as a light Carolina rig as well.
Not tried any crank baits with it.

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2010 10:33PM

I love a St. Croix MF blank for senko's.

Good luck.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: December 30, 2010 07:56PM

Let me think - 802.75 no doubt! You will love it - even in the RX7 version you'll be very happy with it.

Good Luck - Marc

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2010 09:01PM

I too sung out 802.75 in my head. However, what scared me was the "light Carolina rig" in your post.

No way in this world I'd recommend the 802.75 for a Carolina rig. I think this blank is a poor choice for a bottom bouncing presentation.

But for the rest of your requirements, the 802.75 would be my choice as well.

Hitting somewhere in the middle......the 5S70MF would likely be my choice while keeping the light C-rig in mind.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster