I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Train to the expo
Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: December 29, 2010 11:48AM

I'm thinking of taking the train (Amtrak) to the expo. I've never travelled by train before and I'm looking for input from those who have. I'm coming from Hattiesburg, MS.- HBG to HPT. How close is train station in HPT to the expo? Will it be possible to move about in High Point for a couple o' days without renting a car (meals, hotel, etc.)? If I purchase something at the expo, ya think I can get it on the train to come back or, are vendors willing to ship it back from there? What would be more practical? Are the seats on a train roomier than an airplane, or should I splurge for a roomette?
Thanks,
Greg Marshall

Just for fun, if Amtrak doesn't work out, anybody know how fast I would have to run to catch a box car?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Train to the expo
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2010 11:55AM

The main Northfolk/Southern line passes directly through the center of town (the highest point between NY and New Orlens on the line, hence the city's name). The station is across the street from the Best Western and 2 blocks from the Showplace. Train travel is quite a bit more relaxed than air travel in all aspects.

There are 8 passenger trains per day serving High Point. The Crescent, which has been running for 50+ years, comes through in the middle of the night and features very large luxury seats as well as sleeping cars if you're interested in that. Standard passenger service cars are still far roomier and more comfortable than anything you'll find on an airplane.

Your only problem will lie in whether or not you are close to a main passenger rail line. Call Amtrak to find out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2010 02:30PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Chris McKim (---.mycomspan.com)
Date: December 29, 2010 05:21PM

Greg,

I have traveled Amtrak regularly for years and actually prefer it over air travel for trips less than five hours. Anything longer than that and it becomes more timely to fly. As Tom stated, the train is a lot more leasurely and the seats are more comfortable. There are usually no restrictions on luggage so you should be fine bringing whatever you purchase at the expo back with you. The only concern I would have is that the luggage area is open to everyone and is not easily monitored by you so you would need to ensure that you keep anything that would be tempting to the ethically challenged well packaged or kept close to you in your seating area. A sleeping car would eliminate most of the issues I addressed and would definately be more comfortable all around, but the price is comparable to most airlines so you should consider carefully. Either way, you are going and that is awesome....I will also be attending this year for the first time so see you there.

Chris (Moose) McKim
Mad Moose Rods

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: December 29, 2010 06:56PM

Greg -

As Tom noted, the station is dead across the way from the Expo Center and the Best Western (primary hotel). You definitely won't need a car, wheeled luggage or a backpack would be recommended. You can grab meals at the hotel or in the immediate vicinity. However, you will find plenty of folks with cars that drive to off-premise sites ... in that case, you might find it interesting to hitch a ride and see the town one evening.

As to the travel itself, leisurely plus. The seats are 3-4" wider than a coach airline seat, they recline farther AND they offer much more legroom. Most trains don't have armrests in the middle, which also makes them roomier. For a single night (you would actually experience a piece of one, both directions) I wouldn't bother with a roomette UNLESS you have a bad back and need to fully recline OR you want, and can easily afford, the luxury of the additional space and privacy. IF you can find someone to share, the price of the roomette is the same for one OR two persons ... the only difference is the base ticket price. FYI, the rooms are considered first-class and do include meals, shower privileges, advance boarding, etc.

In respect to the packing, traveling, etc. IF it is large (blanks, equipment, etc.) ship it, the hassle isn't worthwhile. IF it is small stuff, just allow for a bit of space for the return trip and stick it into your carry-on bag. Do wear comfortable clothing, shoes, etc. Do take a hoodie, ear plugs, a pillow and a light blanket ... you WILL want them. Pack snacks and entertainment (reading material, etc.). Bring a few bucks for dining (coach class) and having beverages.

Hope this helps! Glad you are going to make the "really big show".

Jim -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2010 06:57PM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 29, 2010 07:21PM

I would like to take Am Trak. My main problem is the station on my end looks almost as safe as nothing. It is in the middle of the worst part of town and the train comes at 3:00 am with a 6 hour lay over in D.C.

The High Point station is very clean and well lighted so no problem there.

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2010 08:08PM

Greg; Just got this off the Amtrak Site

Crescent Trains 19 and 20: Service Cancellation between Atlanta and New Orleans

Effective Mondays through Thursdays Only, January 10 - February 17, 2011

On Monday through Thursday of each week beginning January 10 through February 17, Trains 19 and 20 will not operate between Atlanta and New Orleans, due to track work being performed by Norfolk Southern Railway. Please be advised that service will not be provided to or from intermediate stations.

Southbound Train 19
Train 19, which normally operates between New York and New Orleans, will terminate in Atlanta on the dates shown above. This change affects Train 19 that originates in New York Sundays through Wednesdays, January 9 through February 16, 2011 and arrives in Atlanta the following day.
Service will not be provided between Atlanta, Anniston, Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, Meridian, Laurel, Hattiesburg, Picayune, Slidell and New Orleans.
Northbound Train 20
Train 20, which normally originates in New Orleans and operates to New York, will originate in Atlanta on the dates shown above.
Service will not be provided between New Orleans, Slidell, Picayune, Hattiesburg, Laurel, Meridian, Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, Anniston and Atlanta.
Friday, Saturday and Sunday Service
On Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays only, between January 10 and February 17, 2011, Trains 19 and 20 will serve all stations along the route, but may encounter delays due to speed restrictions and freight train interference. Passengers may visit Amtrak.com or call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) for the most up-to-date arrival and departure times.

We appreciate your patronage and apologize for any inconvenience you may experience.

PSN 1210-30

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2010 08:12PM

The Expo takes place on February 26 & 27 so those dates shouldn't interfere with anyone traveling on the Crescent heading to the Expo.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: December 29, 2010 09:20PM

Bill Eshelman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would like to take Am Trak. My main problem is
> the station on my end looks almost as safe as
> nothing. It is in the middle of the worst part of
> town and the train comes at 3:00 am with a 6 hour
> lay over in D.C.

You are a candidate for a TSA sanctioned flight experience. Southwest makes the trip from Pittsburgh and Columbus to Raleigh/Durham ... only an 80 mile drive via rental car.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2010 10:11PM

MY BAD!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster