I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel seat arbor
Posted by: Mark Boggs (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: December 28, 2010 11:30PM

Given the absence of a production reel seat arbor, is there any reason not to use cork rings turned to the proper size? I like the Flexcoat arbors but don't have the size I need and I'm not particularly fond of using tape. If cork is good, will three rings be enough, each end and center?

Mark Boggs

Springfield, OR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel seat arbor
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2010 01:34AM

I would use a full length arbor of what ever material used but it somewhat depends on the type of seat and rod.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 29, 2010 07:57AM

Agree with Ray,
Full arbor - whatever you use. The more blank/arbor/seat contact the better. But to answer your other question - cork would be fine. But if you have to turn the material anyway why not go with something designed for the job.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2010 08:20AM

If you go back a couple decades, cork was the primary material used for arbors and seat bushings. It'll be fine.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 29, 2010 09:15AM

If you have an arbor that fits - very close - you can wrap it with A or D thread to take up the space

Wrap the thread in a large space or diamond so the glue -glues the arbor and the seat.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2010 09:17AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: John Pope (205.171.62.---)
Date: December 29, 2010 09:30AM

@#$%& has arbors up to 30mm if you are turning something down why not turn down an arbor?

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 29, 2010 09:45AM

We actually prefer the arbor in sections, with a slight gap between, the idea being some of the epoxy will fill past the ends of each arbor piece and be bonded directly to the blank.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2010 11:11AM

Mark,
I tend to keep some of my "scrap" cork rings for use as arbors. i.e. cork that is not of good enough quality to use as a handle, work very very well as an arbor.
One of the things with poorer quality cork, is that there are voids and or holes in the cork. This type cork actually excels as an arbor since the voids and holes actually work in your favor to hold glue and actually make a better arbor.

I have used cork for quite a few arbors when I had either run out of arbors in the middle of a build, or the middle of a long shift and needed to get the rods out right away, or when I was using a reel seat, where there wasn't a nice fitting arbor available.

Really a very good use for cork that you consider to be of too poor quality to use on a handle. Use the cork as an arbor and you will be in good shape. The cork is nice and light and if machined to a nice fit on the inside of the reel seat, makes perfect arbor material.

Roger

Posted by: Mark Boggs (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: December 30, 2010 12:56AM

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Mark Boggs

Springfield, OR

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 30, 2010 11:37AM

Mark,

The fiberglass tape is a good option, it's drywall mesh tape. A roll goes a LONG way and it works real well with no "getting wet and coming apart" issues like masking tape can have if not properly sealed. I've also turned down the plastic thread spools if you have the older solid style or the wooden ones. Truth be told, there are many things around the house a lathe can turn to make a good reel seat bushing if need be.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster