I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gold thread
Posted by: Tom Wicker (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 26, 2010 12:46PM

Short of using metallic I have been disappointed in my finish results of gold thread. I'm sure it is more then likely user error. I have tried white under wraps painting the blank white underneath I have went the CP rout and still come up with a greenish tint to it. Has anyone got a favorite line of gold that will retain it's color well? I live in an area where the gold thread is high in demand. Between the Saints or wanting their offshore Penn reels to match the rod. Any secretes?

Gulf Shores AL

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gold thread
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2010 01:52PM

Tom,
I have never had good luck with non metallic Gold thread.
But I have excellent results with Metallic Gold thread. So, if gold is needed, I simply use Metallic. Metallic is a bit tougher to work with but just as strong as the comparable non metallic.

Roger

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 26, 2010 02:53PM

Fish Hawk- gold metallic
Fish Hawk- silk-gold sparkle
Fish Hawk-black/gold metallic twist

They have worked best for me, and have been easier to work with then other brands providing better results.

Posted by: Scott D parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 26, 2010 06:05PM

Tom,We do offer a Non Metallic Gold our no. is 340. It is a new color but is available from some of our dealers, along with our Chromaseal CP, and ThreadMaster finish. you should have no problem getting the results you would like. thanks

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]
[www.fishhawkthreads.com]

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 26, 2010 07:26PM

Scott are you guys going to have all the fishhawk colors at ICRBE?

Tom

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2010 09:39PM

Try Coats and Clark Trilobal Sparkgold. With CP it maintains its brilliance well. It's the same color as Green Bay Packers uniforms, so it may be problematic for you Saints fans.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Date: December 27, 2010 12:28AM

Scott I'm a firm believer in the Fishhawk metallics and finish Mr Thompson hook me long ago. I use it for open under wraps and trims. As far as using metallic in but wraps lets just say I'm a little weak. I'll take a look at your 340. I'm still bugging my local supplier to start carrying the Fishhawk thread and threadmaster

Gulf Shores AL

Date: December 27, 2010 10:29AM

Thomas,
Yes we will have all of our colors at ICRBE.

Tom,
Let me know who your local supplier is and I will bug them as well. Thank for using our products.

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 27, 2010 11:25AM

Well, Scott I am not too sure who is my closest dealer but judging by the 757 area code if Ray is a dealer then he would most likely be the closest. I am in Chesapeake VA.

Tom

Date: December 27, 2010 02:04PM

Thomas,
Ray is not a dealer he is our Sales Associate.
The closest to you would be FishSticks

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]

Date: December 27, 2010 02:23PM

Scott I'll send it e mail to you so I don't break any rules here on the site

Gulf Shores AL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster