I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Steps for Painting a Blank
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2010 08:20PM

Hey guys winter has set in and its time to prep for next season as there isnt much else to do up here. I wanted to piggy back on another thread that was started so I can begin the process of painting some blanks custom this offseasn, but have never done anything like this. I have read a bunch of past threads but wanted to pick your brains:

1.) I will be painting mostly Baston graphite blanks that come in Matte grey Finish. Knowing this do I need to sand the blank (if so using what grade of sandpaper) or do I just simply clean the blank. Wasnt sure if sanding was required

2.) I plan to paint this in a homemade paint booth (dowel fitted into the end of the blank and connected to a drying motor to spin as I paint)

Question is if I use Duplicolor Spray Paints (assume this would be the enamel version) would I first apply a light primer, let dry, then apply a few coats lightly and then a product like Helsman (how many coats of each are recc. in this process). Would Krylon Fusion or Duplicolor work better with the Helsman.

Again any info or steps that you can outline for me to complete the painting process will make this winter go by just a little bit faster. Any pics of completed painted blanks in the gallery? THANKS AGAIN and Happy Holidays

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Steps for Painting a Blank
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2010 12:32AM

Jay,
Exactly, clean, prime, paint and let dry.

Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 22, 2010 08:38AM

Jay
here is some reading material for ya : [rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: December 22, 2010 08:40AM

Jay,
i did it to a bunch of Uglysticks for a guy about a year back. He got stick and matching reels for $15 at some midnite BPS sale. Even on those broomsticks the increase in weight was very noticeable. So you want to be 100% sure that this is something where the looks of the painted blank is of greater benefit to yourself than the decrease in performance/increase in weight you will have.

Posted by: Steve Zayas (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 22, 2010 08:49AM

I havent painted any blanks,but have experience with dupli color. First off most duplicolor paint is laquer and not enamel. which means it goes on hot,if not primed correctly it can damage plastic i dont know if it can damage the blank surface so make sure it is primed good. laquer will cure much faster and harder than enamel which is good for painting a blank,dupli also had flex in it to prevent cracking under a bend of the rod.Its a good idea to heat the paint cans under warm water for a few minutes this will make the paint flow from the can better and evenly to prevent spitting . spray a few mist coats to get most of the color on the blank. then finally paint two wet coats, which is a more of a heavy coat than a mist coat and evenly cover the whole blank. you prob have a slight orange peel which is normal let it sit for a few days and lightly wetsand to get rid of the orange peel. then spray two coats of dupi clear after this the paint should look like glass. I use this paint for a model car hobbie i was into years back. this will give you a glass finish.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: December 22, 2010 11:37AM

Jay....

I'm sure you have thought of this already, but remember respiratory protection by ventilation of the booth and/or a half-mask respirator with the appropriate cartrage, as well as keeping any spark/electrical arc producing devices away from the booth. Oh, and make sure the fire extinguisher you have close by is functioning and the pressure gauge indicator is in the "GREEN" if so equipped.

Merry Christmas to all,
Paul

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 22, 2010 12:07PM

Steve

I have used Dupli Color many times. The auto colors and did not have any bad results ??
Wet sanded the blank with 400 wet and then painted. Cleared with permagloss or LumiSeal.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Isaiah Bumagat (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2010 12:42PM

I have used Createx paints and painted with an airbrush set with success. As noted earlier prep the blank prior to painting and again prior to spraying your clear. It was a lot of trial and error on my part firguring what paint and sealer combo to use. After thinking about it I decided to airbrush, just for the fact that i can control the amount of paint going on the blank thus lessening the amount of weight I put on. After having painted the blank, I decided to go with Krylons Fusion clear for the finish. I would like to note that you completely wait for the paint to dry before painting with any type of clear. The type of clear you put might have some adverse affects on the paint, again trial and error on my part. I have read from previous posts about paint lifting with certain clears, I think this was my most searched topic. After trying Spar, bottled clear coat (automotive) and Krylon Fusion, the Fusion worked for me. I had the hardest time searching for a step by step process so Ill post my process in the hopes that it'll help the next person. Im sure there are other ways to do it, but here was the steps I took to paint a pearl white blank:

1. Prep the blank with 3M scotch bright pad (ultafine)
2. Painted white base coat (Createx paint)
3. Prep blank again
4. Painted one more white coat
5. Painted the pearl coat (Createx pearl)
6. Wet sanded with 600 sandpaper
7. Waited completely for the paint to dry (I waited 3 days)
8. Applied 2 coats of Krylon Fusion Clear.

I hope this helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2010 12:44PM by Isaiah Bumagat.

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2010 12:55PM

I paint blanks all the time but I use all automotive. In years past I used Duplicolor and cleared with a two part auto paint that comes in a spray can called Spraymax. It's not real cheap like $20 a can but IMO this is the best way to do a blank and is by far the most professional way to do it without fancy equipment. That said, Prep is the most important step! DO NOT FORGET TO WEAR PROTECTIVE BREATHING TYPE MASK! NOT A DUST MASK!!

Wet Sand out the finish with 220 wet or dry paper and wipe with a paint prep or alcohol and let dry. You do not need to remove the old finish unless it is cracking ,peeling ect. Do not touch the blank except at the tip or butt after it's preped. after it's preped you can paint ( I wait 1/2 to make sure the solvent dried complete) . apply your color coat and alow to dry. Now you said you set it up to spin. Forget that! Spinning will give you an uneven paint job. You need to turn the blank but if it's spinning while you paint you will create a spiral effect that will be a PIA to resolve.

Remember that a blank is round so.. When you are painting the center is high so you need to turn the blank and coat then turn very little and coat and on and on until the blank is coated. You will need more paint then you think (larger blanks mostly). After the paint has cured like a few days I wet sand with grey Scotchbrite lightly to dull and get any little flecks that might be on the paint. Clean again and do not touch! Your ready for your clear coat, same thing nice even coats and let flash for 5-10 between coats. That's it! I let mine (autotype paint) to dry for as long as I can but at least 4 days. Good luck!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 22, 2010 02:34PM

You have received some great answers. May I suggest you go to search to look for more. My question is why do you want to add extra weight and change the action of a great rod by adding paint plus the time involved in prep work and cost.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2010 01:23AM

I have to agree with bob on this one.
Rather than the hassle of painting and prepping etc. I would rather just polish the bare blank and call it good. There is a suprising amount of weight that gets added to a blank by painting. Also, the paint tends to slow the action of the blank, and cause it to lose some of its crispness.

I would think that if you wanted to add a bit of color to a blank, it would be better to just run a single coat of dyed permagloss down the blank and call it good.

Roger

Posted by: Isaiah Bumagat (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2010 01:33AM

you are absolutely right on the weights, I guess you can call it the nature of being a custom builder, we can never leave good alone. :)

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 23, 2010 04:06PM

If I were to change a color I would do it near the Butt section with a marbilization (SW) or a thread wrap or weave

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster