I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Type of WC?
Posted by: Bill Napier (---.hosted.static.webnx.com)
Date: December 21, 2010 11:59AM

I was told by a couple builders that metal or aluminium winding checks were not good to use because they could restrict blank movement or even cut into the blank if the action flexed that far back. They advised using rubber checks or O-rings. Thing I worry about is whether or not the epoxy I use to finish the foregrip trim wrap area is going to stick to that rubber. I would clean it with alcohol of course but wondered if anyone had done this and ever had a problem with the epoxy pulling away over time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Type of WC?
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 21, 2010 12:31PM

I never use a metal winding check for that very reason. My guess is , it could be a potential problem, therefore I never use them. Most of my builds are for tournament Bass fishermen and they are not interested in bling anyway. Just get the fish in the live well.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 21, 2010 12:32PM

I would only think if they are to -tight- onto the blank. Go one size larger and wrap thread of your color under and you should be good.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2010 12:43PM

Bill,
With respect to the epoxy - no epoxy will not stick to either the vinyl or plastic winding check. So, when you cover the wrap, don't cover the winding check. Take the epoxy only to the edge of the winding check, not over it.

With respect to the use of a metal check. No issue at all, as long as it is not a press fit onto the blank. Use a single thread wrap under the check, and that will give plenty of flex room for the blank.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 21, 2010 01:22PM

What Roger says is what we suggest to all our customers.
Go slightly oversize on the metal winding check and cushion the blank with a thread wrap.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: December 21, 2010 02:18PM

Does anyone have proof or seen damage as a result of fishing with a rod with aluminum checks? Not from installing them, but from the flex, etc?

Just wondering if this is a "feeling" or something based in fact or by personal experience.

I've never seen this as an issue on JDM rods which use the checks and parts extensively. Or on custom rods for that matter...

The only place i ever heard it is from custom builders "who say..."

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 21, 2010 02:35PM

If you take a rod blank and drop a washer over it and allow it to come to stop, then flex the blank fully, the blank will break at the point where the washer resides. If you don't believe it and have a blank to waste, give it a try.

The thing about winding checks is that generally they are pretty far back on the blank in an area that doesn't see much flex or not enough to become an issue. You can always go oversize a bit and slide the check down on top of any trim wrap forward of the foregrip or reel seat. That gives you a tad bit more margin for error, but overall I'd say this isn't much of a problem.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: December 21, 2010 02:39PM

I've never seen one cause a break that far down on a blank, could happen if it's too tight. I have, however, seen epoxy stick to a rubber winding check....I'm looking at it now, my fingernail won't get it off...maybe I just use a better epoxy than some???

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: December 21, 2010 03:50PM

I must have weird epoxy because it totally coats and covers rubber winding checks with no problem.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 21, 2010 06:40PM

I use epoxy (Threadmaster & Flexcoat) all the time on vinyl and rubber winding checks and to date (20 years) have never had a problem on no adhesion!!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2010 07:05PM

Kevin,
I don't disagree that the epoxy coats and covers the rubber winding checks with no problem.
The statement that I said was the epoxy would NOT stick to the vinyl or rubber winding checks.
But, for purposes of the winding checks, that is not important.
Most rod builders either take the guide finish just up to the winding check, or up and over the winding check onto the rod handle itself. That is fine, because even though the finish does not stick to the winding check, the fact that the epoxy is up and flowing over the winding check and adhering to the rod handle, you effectivly have a very nice epoxy ramp with little or no shaping required.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: December 21, 2010 07:58PM

Yep, I use it as an epoxy ramp on standups and take the finish to the edge of the winding check but not onto the EVA as it will wick down into the EVA and finish unsightly. I have stripped rods with the rubber check and had to peel it off the check. Maybe the checks I get are not coated with anything as they are a different finish than the smaller freshwater ones. That might be the difference as the smaller ones are shiny and these are not.

Kevin

Posted by: Bill Napier (---.hosted.static.webnx.com)
Date: December 22, 2010 10:25AM

Thanks guys. This gives me some options to consider.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 22, 2010 10:52AM

I like to wrap thread over rubber winding checks then ramp with epoxy

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2010 01:02PM

The reson a Tight metal check can break a blank is due to when the blank flexes it ovals and if it ovals where the tight check is it will be restricted from ovaling and in a way crush where the check is. Doing what other have said and having iot slightly oversized and fitting it to the blank is the best way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster