I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What is the pot life of Flex Coat?
Posted by: kevin gross (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: December 20, 2010 10:24PM

Guys what is the pot life of Flex Coat thick? I have some i am going to try this weekend and was just wondering. Thanks for the help!

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is the pot life of Flex Coat?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 20, 2010 10:31PM

It depends on the temperature involved. At normal room temperature (70F) you can work with it for about 20 minutes. It should only take you 5 minutes to coat all the wraps, and that leaves plenty of time to come back and touch in any dry spots or fill in the tunnels.

A cooler temp extends working time, but means the mix will be a little thicker. Higher temps will thin the mix initially, but will set up more quickly.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2010 10:31PM

If you mix in small batches to keep the heat down, or mix and then spread thinly on a piece of aluminum to keep the heat down your pot life may be up to 10-15 minutes.
If not, i.e. mix in large concentrated batches- i.e. small mixing cup - the pot life may be as short as two or three minutes.

Roger

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 20, 2010 10:38PM

Hi,

I have found using an electric mixer for 7 minutes not only produces a fine mixture but one that heats up less and extends pot life. Many years ago I was taught that you had to beat a mixture for 3 minutes by hand to get an proper mix but this caused a big build up of heat. Heat decreases pot life.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: December 21, 2010 01:39AM

I cant see how mixing it longer is going to increase pot life. In my mind you are just using up 4 minutes of your working time. I used to dump it out on a small disposable tray or aluminum foil, but now i am able to get it on the rod quick enough that i havent found it to be necessary. I also use the electric epoxy mixer, but only mix for 3 minutes and then apply. Everybody has method and there are many different ways to skin a cat. After reading about it on here and in the mag, i have found that the quicker i get the epoxy on the rod and the less i mess with it (ie. heating brushing etc) the better my results. Just apply it, turn it 180 degrees by hand when needed, never letting it "sag", the better my finished results have been.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: December 21, 2010 07:46AM

Kevin,

I like your signature quote

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2010 04:01PM

Except for a short period that I tried Treadmaster-and it is a good product-I have been using Flex Coat and Flex Coat Lite. My room temperature stays between 75 and 80 degrees. I mix 3cc portions of the resin and hardener for about 3 minutes and then pour onto an aluminum foil- covered pie plate. The product gives me time to coat a split area, the weave in front of the foregrip, and eight or nine guides plus the tip. It will start to set shortly afterwards. It takes me about 25 minutes to coat a rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster