I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dull Snake Skin....?
Posted by: Jeff Davis (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 20, 2010 07:51PM

Hope someone has a majic answer for me... :) I've been doing some rattle snake skin inlays on rods. I have one due by the end of the week. All that's left to do is the inlay. The skin I got has a rather dull grey finish to it. I know all skins are different, but is there something I can do to bring out whatever natural color there is? I did a search and didn't find much.
Thanks,
Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dull Snake Skin....?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 20, 2010 08:09PM

If you read the article in RodMaker, you know you have to remove the clear covering from each scale. Otherwise the colors will be muted.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 20, 2010 08:50PM

Jeff,

Like you said, all skins are different. I get several skins per month because of the work I do on snake skin lures. I've yet to get two that are identical. Even among cobras, each is just a slightly different shade.

The skins I get have the scales removed. Like Tom said, if yours has the scales on, removing them will bring out the color.

Where are you getting your skin from?

jeremy

Date: December 21, 2010 01:06AM

I still have to get a subscription started from Rodmaker, but plan on doing it soon.

Jeremy: I'm getting my skins from a couple of dealers on "@#$%&" as they are about 1/3 the price. The smaller ones have better color, but increases the price per inch.
Are you saying to remove all the scales to bring out the color more? I have a few skins that are large that I can experiment with. The larger ones have good color and design, but not as good detail because of the size of the blanks, if you understand what I'm trying to say?
Thanks for everyones imput.... I did use the head section and tail section from one larger skin for the build I have to have done this week, it is working out better.
Jeff ~~~~~~~~~<((((><

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.lns3.fli.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 21, 2010 02:48AM

Jeff,

I always scrape mine to remove all the scales. Be gentle so as not to rip the skin but firm enough so that the scales come off. It isn't hard and doesn't take that long. I found the sking was easier to inlay and retained the colour/pattern. I used 3-4 coats of Chromaseal CP and had no problems at all with colour.

Regards
Mark

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2010 09:23AM

Mark What do you scrape the skin with

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2010 09:23AM

Mark What do you scrape the skin with

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 21, 2010 09:28AM

Jeff,

Yes, the scales dull the color. They start to become a bit opaque which masks the true color of the skin. Like I said, most of the skin I get don't have the scales on them. If you post a good pictures, we can tell you if yours does indeed have the scales on it yet.

jeremy

Posted by: John Pope (205.171.62.---)
Date: December 21, 2010 09:42AM

I just finished a piece of copper head last night. The scales came off very easily just by rubbing them with my thumb. It is a bit messy. One thing I was wondering was if it would help to paint the blank under the inlay a lighter color. I know I used a light colored copper head on a brown blank and it looks very nice but definitely darker than the plain skin.

Date: December 21, 2010 12:18PM

John,

All of the copperhead skins I've seen are very thin and paint will show through. Metallic gold is a nice color underneath it. I have a bunch of copperhead from a snake I killed this summer and tanned. I'm just waiting for the right rod to put it on.

jeremy

Posted by: John Pope (205.171.62.---)
Date: December 21, 2010 01:35PM

Jeremy Wagner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> John,
>
> All of the copperhead skins I've seen are very
> thin and paint will show through. Metallic gold
> is a nice color underneath it. I have a bunch of
> copperhead from a snake I killed this summer and
> tanned. I'm just waiting for the right rod to put
> it on.
>
> jeremy

Thanks that is what I thought . I still have about half of my snake left so I will try that on the next one.

Date: December 21, 2010 06:42PM

Jeremy: I scraped the inlay I'm working on now and it helped alot. Thanks,
I did it after I had it CP'd to the blank, but still worked. Tomorrow I'll do the rest of the skins so I don't have to do them on the blank.... :)
Thanks all,
Jeff

Date: December 21, 2010 08:10PM

I've only had to scrape two, but when I did, I used my magnifier to go over them and make sure I didn't miss any scales. It's not hard work, just tedious. Post some pictures when you're done!

jeremy

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: December 22, 2010 06:13PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you read the article in RodMaker, you know you
> have to remove the clear covering from each scale.
> Otherwise the colors will be muted.
>
> .............
Tom, do you remember the year the article appeared in RodMaker?

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.sip.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 29, 2010 08:59PM

Never had a reason or desire to scrape the scales off

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster