I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji ACS trim
Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2010 08:59PM

I need to add a trim ring behind a Fuji ACS seat. The rear O.D. on the ACS is about 1.08" and on more common casting seats I have it's about 1.04". Can someone please confirm which trim rings will fit the ACS? I can't find any specific measurements from vendor websites.

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji ACS trim
Posted by: wayne diduch (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: December 19, 2010 09:32PM

Steve...Janns Netcraft have them. I Know... i purchased a bunch in July for the ACS, Click on their Winding Check category. Scroll down the page a bit, you will find them. Fit both 16 & 17 mm seats. Cheers!!! wayne

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.lns3.fli.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 20, 2010 05:13AM

Check out the Matagi Components site. They have an English section to help you. They have "the best" selection of fittings anywhere.

Regards
Mark
Outback Rods

Date: December 20, 2010 06:00AM

Jann's and Mudhole's both say they fit the ECS and ACS style seats... How can they fit both properly if there is a .04" difference between the two? I know it's not much but is this what everyone is using? It seems that trim ring would be recessed a little on the ACS. I usually avoid this type of "bling" but this is what the customer wants,

Mark, although I'm not sure I can afford the wait, I'll check with Matagi. Thanks

Posted by: Eric Green (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2010 07:24AM

You are rigtht, the trim ring sold by Mud Hole for the ACS reel seat has a smaller OD than the reel seat. I have one and was planning on using it on a build today, but now that you point out the issue and I checked , I may decide not to.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2010 07:25AM by Eric Green.

Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: December 20, 2010 08:40AM

I just built a replacement Crig rod re-using a trim ring with an ACS seat this time versus the ECS and I will say it is OK but not great. If it were not my rod I probably would not have re-used it. While it snaps in great and everything is butted up nice and flush and you get the color accent, the recess is definetly noticeable. One benefit might be that it will prevent any scratching that might occur to the anodized finish.

Posted by: Jason Wenzel (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: December 20, 2010 11:58AM

If you know some one that has a metal lathe or is a machinist, they could make you one really easy.

Date: December 20, 2010 12:56PM

Sorry, it's gotta be red.

Matagi has pics in the catalog but they're not actually listed. Maybe an email to Billy V will get it. Thanks all.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: December 20, 2010 02:00PM

Steve,
if you are getting in colored trim rings and are looking for matching winding checks, check them out very carefully before glue up. I am sure you know to do that already, but just in case you or somebody reading this don't.....I did this in purple about two maybe three weeks back. When i went from my outside room to where i do my epoxy work, the brighter lights exposed that some were not as purple as i thought, more a bluish color. One winding check was more red. maybe it would never have been noticed by the end user but it bugged the heck out of me. Of course the glue was already hardened so it became a big problem as I discovered just how tough epoxy can get and i destroyed the cork grips,etc.
Supplier said the winding checks looked good their end so it may have been as simple as a packing problem.
Another measure three times, cut/glue once deal.

Posted by: David Page (---.206.19.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 23, 2010 11:36AM

Just something to try. I noticed earlier this year that the trim rings didn't fit quite right on some seats(never thought to measure the ID's and OD's though) and wouldn't stay exactly centered on the looser fits. Once you get everything glued in place take electrical tape and wrap it around the seat, ring, and end the handle. Wrap it pretty tight and the electrical tape being flexible will keep the ring centered while it dries. Hope that makes sense.

David Page
E-town, KY.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster