I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blanks from major rod makers are less and less.
Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bos-dynamic.gis.net)
Date: December 19, 2010 08:55AM

Is it me or are there fewer blanks available for the rod builder? I went to my source where I get my blanks and there are not many choices for the rod builder. I'm talking the Sages and the major rod makers. Perhaps they want to make more profit by not offering blanks so you'll have to buy the complete rod. Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blanks from major rod makers are less and less.
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 19, 2010 10:05AM

Maybe they are cutting out what does not sell well ?

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: December 19, 2010 10:18AM

Granted, G Loomis left the market and most notably Lamiglas along with a few others have reduced their offerings to most likely streamline inventory expense. However, St Croix has actually expanded their options over the last few years AND increased spending on R&D to bring us the new SC6 material last year and the inclusion of 3M Nano-Matrix after the holidays - they have even added some nice options for the ladies in the fuchsia colored blanks. Seeker and Billy Vivona have put forth the effort to produce the new Hercules lineup and they keep adding new models every few months. In addition, Batson has brought forth a new lineup of Rainshadow RX8 blanks that are IMO the "cream of the crop" among imported offerings.

IMO, things aren't contracting at all ... at least in respect to the marketplace as a whole.

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2010 10:50AM

Companys will always concentrate their time and $$$ where money is to be made. I think the days of companys making a wide array of blanks is slowing somewhat. This might not be a bad thing as all companys can't be good at all blanks but they can be great at certain blanks and I for one do not stick with one brand name to build rods on.I just hope we don't lose anymore American blank manufactuers.. IMO we can't afford to!

Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bos-dynamic.gis.net)
Date: December 19, 2010 02:35PM

Well, fortunately for me Thomas & Thomas still offers blanks. They are from MA where I live and are a small company. I like to support the small guy. I bought a two handed rod from them and their workmanship is the finest in the industry. Bill

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 19, 2010 04:24PM

The number of blank models available today versus what we had 25 years ago is night and day. There are probably five times over now, what we had then.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: December 19, 2010 04:37PM

As long as Batson stays in business, this cat's happy.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 19, 2010 08:01PM

Shimano got out of the blank business! IMO because of poor quality control on the(GLOOMIS blank). We now have North Fork, As for Batson they do not compete with rod manufactures and have super line of blanks and components to meet most custom blank/rod designers needs. No matter what manufactures you like, You will notice a decline in models or series. This is because of the new tech knowledge used in todays building materials. IMO if you are a competent blank/rod designer YOU should be able to design a rod to meet the needs for any type of fishing with todays products. The only suggestion I have for you! if you can not find a blank you like! Is to approach a manufacture on a idea how you would like a blank designed give them a couple thousand or more and have them design a blank for You Or better yet spend a few grand, go to school and learn about designing, then spend another 30 thou. Just to build one blank. I know the last few words were kind of sarcastic, but lets get real here, if you know your products you can build any rod You want with what is out there. Forget about models and series those are just company reference points. What is of concern is what was used to build the blank and how it was designed. Sorry about the rant & rave. Just use common sense and build

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster