I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St. Croix Blank I.D. & Salmon Downrigger Rod Recc.
Posted by: Jon Gold (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 18, 2010 02:58PM

Can anyone please give me some information on a St. Croix 686 MH2 blank?
Could not find anything on the St. Croix website.
It is being used as a downrigger rod for salmon trolling near San Francisco.
My buddy likes the action and he would like me to build him something similar.

My personal first choice would be a CalStar T608 mooching blank. It's a little light but the tip is nice and soft.
Does anyone have any other suggestions? Use on a downrigger, soft tip, 2 piece, plenty of backbone, 8 ft. to 10 ft., for salmon......
I prefer Batson or Cal Star myself.
Thanks,
Jon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2010 03:00PM by Jon Gold.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St. Croix Blank I.D. & Salmon Downrigger Rod Recc.
Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 18, 2010 05:47PM

Look at the Batson "RDR", "BP", or "IST" series.
Here is a link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

The RDR are targeted at trolling rods, and the BP are extra tough.
IST Steelhead series is extra nice due to the RX7 Graphite making them light in the hand and very responsive.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Re: St. Croix Blank I.D. & Salmon Downrigger Rod Recc.
Posted by: Tony Childs (152.72.151.---)
Date: December 20, 2010 01:59PM

I am kind of with the above post. For downrigger use, there is no need to spend the bucks for a St. Croix blank unless you get style points at the cleaning station. The Batson RDR's, Forecast SPG845, BP's, or any other glass blank will do fine for downrigger salmon action. What size fish and at what depths are being targeted? The new MHX downrigger blanks have been awesome for my customers late this fall on kings to 27lbs off downriggers. They are priced right for the application, and available in your length requirements. The 9' and 9'6" MHX blanks are also perfect on the cores and coppers making them a very versatile blank for trolling applications. For my customers on the Great Lakes, I would love to see a one piece 7' 12-20 # model from MHX, after all it is Christmas lol. Graphite rigger rods are very nice for the right customer. Charter boats and customers that are hard on rods will make short use of a graphite downrigger rod though. I have built myself higher end graphite rigger rods in the past and have always ended back up with glass rods. Hookups seem to be not as consistent with the sharper faster action of the graphite rods and they are much trickier to get the right load without tripping the release. I do love the fight characteristics of the graphite over the glass rods, but durability while being banged around a trolling scene is hard on them. Light weight isn't really normally a concern with rigger rods, normally you have a heavy levelwind linecounter type reel full of 20-30# mono, so a few ounces will be miniscule in the big picture. Just my .0001 cents.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster