I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Jesse Buky Passes
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 18, 2010 12:09PM

I was informed this morning that Jesse Buky passed away last evening. According to the information I received, no service is scheduled. Many of you may be familiar with Jesse and his unique custom rod building business in the Virginia Beach area.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jesse Buky Passes
Posted by: John Bumstead (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 18, 2010 12:34PM

Tom: Thanks for posting this notice about Jesse. I guess I met him in 1995 or 1996. I was really impressed with his encapsulated hosels and still have a few he made for me. I'll miss him. John

Posted by: Bernie Cohen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 18, 2010 02:25PM

It saddens me to hear of Jesse's passing. He was a fun guy and also a great rod builder . I alway enjoyed talking to him about rod building as he was a innovator and appreciated all of us who were into the art aspects of rods.
Who can ever forgetr his famous Fly Rod demo where he actually imbedded real flys in his handles. The rod also came in sections and was also a back scratcher and had other uses. It was probably the funniest demos I had ever seen.and all of the attendiees cracked up.
He was also very down to basics about rod building when he would say it's only a damn fishing rod and not rocket science when he got impatiient about the many myths he considered that was being talked about.
I will miss him very much.

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: December 18, 2010 02:36PM

Jesse is a great man and i am very saddened to hear of his passing. we spent many of hours together over the past 15 yrs talking rod building and the industry. he is a friend i will never forget.
My prayers go out to his family and all his friends>>he will be missed by many folks. I have been blessed by his friendship.

Bill Batson>>

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 18, 2010 02:48PM

Sorry to hear this. I met Jesse in 2001 at a Rodrafter's seminar, I learned a lot from him about efficiency. He was a funny guy, and always had some unique idea. He taught me how to us the box to wrap multiple thrads for Dec WRaps, and also ade me an encapsulated grip with a set of Blackfish teeth. Great guy, he always came ovr to my booth and took time to talk and laugh with me. @#$%&.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 18, 2010 03:48PM

Thanks Tom for posting:

Very Special Person

[www.rodbuilding.org]

He now has a new group of customers!

I am sure he took this with him!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Thanks to John Ballard for letting all of us know!

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2010 04:38PM

Sorry to hear this. Just mentioned his name last week in a post about reel seat replacement and thought ,Gee the board hasn't heard from him in some time. Condolances to his family and friends.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 18, 2010 07:39PM

I met him at the show where he had the bad accident on the way home. Quite a guy and srry to hear this!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.lightspeed.sndgca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 18, 2010 11:11PM

I knew Jesse also he built all of my dads rods and two of mine. I spoke to him a few times this year but hadn't had a chance to call him last few months. Now I wish I would of made more time.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2010 10:06AM

Jesse was a true innovator, never afraid to try something new and different – his epoxy encapsulated reel seats and disco carbon fiber handles come to mind. He was always willing to share and put on a demonstration to show others what he invented. He had a quick wit and always looking for a deal. His rod building business stood the test of time promoted by his Mr. G. Gordon Liddy radio ads while selling just “damn fishing rods” to locals in the marina, the laughs enjoyed over dinner during many a rod show, his tragic car accent while driving home from a rod show because he was wore out from talking, demoing, and sharing and his long recovery after.

These memories will last forever, but Jesse’s sprit will be missed. Our prayers go out to him and his family during this difficult time.

The Staff of Mud Hole Custom Tackle.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 19, 2010 01:31PM

Jesse's Eulogy From a Friend

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: wayne fowlkes (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 19, 2010 11:16PM

Jesse & I go way back & I will miss him forever. I have been privileged to work with Jesse through the years. I remember when he made some of the rods that you would need a pair of sunglasses just to be able to look at them. Jesse was a one of a kind & there will not be anyone else to take his place & if you were lucky enough to have one of his creations it was a one of a kind. as Jesse would have put it it is just a fishing rod not a Rolex watch. I had a talk with Jesse a short time a go & the subject came up about passing on to the other side & Jesse said it was just going to be another adventure for him. he also commented on what was going to be done with his body after he passed on. he told me he wanted to be cremated but with a different twist & I said like what & his reply to me was that he was adding some fire Opel to his ashes to let the fish know who he was.( fire Opel is a glitter) so even in death he was doing it his way I will greatly miss him but hope to see him on the other side & join him on his new adventure. Fishing with Jesus
Best Regards to all of his friends & his family .
Wayne Fowlkes (Wayne's Custom Tackle INC.)

Posted by: Ron Orga (---.nrflva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 20, 2010 01:25AM

I met Jesse a few years ago through Bill Stevens. He was local and he and Walt always took time to talk to me about rod building and show me anything I had questions about. He was an old salt from the Navy and told it like it was. As others have stated, he was a funny guy and loved what he was doing. I will miss our conversations and my visits to his shop. Regards to his family. Ron

Posted by: Joe Meehan American Tackle (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2010 02:05PM

Jessie was truly one of a kind. I remember going to his home. It looked like a rod factory. He had stuff everywhere. A bachelor for sure. He had a ton of creativity and sold a ton of rods. He had lots of great friends that pitched in when he needed them. I was saddened to hear of his passing. Darrin and I were reminiscing. There will never be anyone quite like him. He was beloved character in our business. If you knew him you know exactly what I'm talking about. God bless you Jessie you'll be missed. Joe Meehan, American Tackle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster