I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

micro guide placement
Posted by: Ronnie Edwards (---.201.102.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2010 12:48PM

Wanting to see if there are any tricks to getting a system to micro guide placement, Im wanting to come up with something I can use uniformly. I have been using a morton chart but am open to new ways. thanks ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: micro guide placement
Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: December 17, 2010 12:50PM

Why would you not place them like you do any other guides??

Posted by: Ronnie Edwards (---.201.102.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2010 01:02PM

From rods I have seen and what I've heard you need more guides for a smooth even run

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: December 17, 2010 01:21PM

Nope, the more guides is better is simple marketing hype. I build almost exclusively with microguides and I haven’t ever used more than I used with larger guides in the past.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 17, 2010 01:47PM

Are you talking spinning or conventional casting guides on top will usually take a few more.

Rule of thumb is one guide per foot of rod and maybe plus one -- to start. Then static testing and test casting sets you up.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 17, 2010 02:04PM

Using more or less guides shouldn't affect the criteria for placing them. There are at least two articles in the online library here which instruct how to space guides along a rod blank.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: December 17, 2010 02:29PM

I have only used an additional guide on one rod so far and that was the MHX s781's I just built and that was only because the tips were so thin I wanted a little extra protection on them and since they were 2.0mm's I don't think the extra weight affected it to the point you could feel it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2010 04:16PM

Ronnie,
You can use the identical guide placment for Micros as you would with conventional guides.
But, for a top mounted casting rod, you might want to add a guide or several to keep the line off of the rod if you want the line to stay off or below the rod.

Roger

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2010 05:55PM

“The more guides is better is simple marketing hype”

Mike I respectfully disagree1.
The whole reason I started playing with Micro guides, was due to wanting to tighten up guide spacing (because I had seen improvements in rod performance by doing so) without paying the penalty of the added weight from doing such with heavier larger guides.

Now I understand that with some of the big box companies who have added many more guides, basically for appearances sake. It has gotten to that point.
In the “Our rods have 5 more guides then your rods so our rods are better war”

And while you can certainly do as Roger suggest;
“Use the identical guide placement for Micros as you would with conventional guides.”
Ending up with a rod that will mostly likely meet a persons needs.

I have found that adding a guide or even three (depending on the rod blank) can and does make a difference in rod performance.

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: December 17, 2010 11:40PM

Steve Gardner Wrote:

> I have found that adding a guide or even three
> (depending on the rod blank) can and does make a
> difference in rod performance.

I am totally with you on that. I was referring to the kind of marketing that results in 7 foot rods with 13 guides.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: December 19, 2010 09:43AM

I sometimes use up to 10 or 11 on a 7 foot rod. I agree with Steve. There is no penalty for adding a micro or two.

Posted by: Bryan Sirotkin (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2010 01:29AM

Just to chime in on the guide #'s. The answer is simple geometry.

Start off drawing 5 circles... Then evenly space 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 dots respectively around the edges of those circles. Go back to elementry school and play connect the dots with a ruler going around the circle from one to the next. The one with 12 dots will have a much smoother transition between the dots (or guides) and therefore put less strain on the line when fighting the fish.

Worried about weight? Use lighter weight guides... If you use the right size guides and align them correctly there won't be an issue with casting.

I've used a lot of different rods. Had customs made, now make my own because I want to have the control over what goes on them and how it's done. The customs that I had made were part of a sponsorship for fishing and the rod builder did a fantastic job on them. I was surprised though that on a 7'6" rod meant to battle large fish that he only used 5 guides + tip. I have 2 consumer rods (Cat Maxx from BPS) that are about the same length (7'9" I think) that have 10+ tip. Now while I haven't sat and done a full on scientific experiment with them to compare casting distances or fighting, I definitely prefer the 10 guides over 5 and have put 8 relatively smaller guides on my customs I've built because of this...

Now I'm sure there's an effective limit as they'll start effecting the action of the rod and limit it's bend and just make it pointless to have that many, but my general rule is atleast one guide per foot of the rod blank, not including the tip, plus one for baitcasting guides and spinning and 1/ft +2 for fly. I haven't done micros but I'd stay along the same lines for them, if not adding a couple more in for conventional/baitcasting rods since the guides are lower profile, closer to the rod and have less clearance of the rod for the line. The weight shouldn't be an issue and if it is, just put a hummingbird feather or 2 in the butt section to counter balance the guides "extra" weight.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster