I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

10 to 16 wt fly rod blanks
Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: December 17, 2010 10:07AM

Any suggestions for blanks other than SAGE in this weight range, 4 piece 8 to 9.5 ft length? Or are they the only game in town?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 10 to 16 wt fly rod blanks
Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2010 12:11PM

Hey Lou,

Batson has a 10wt and a 12wt in their RX7 line and a 10wt in their RX8 line. I really like these two lines of blanks as I think they give you a lot of bang for the buck.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 17, 2010 01:10PM

take a look at these : [www.meiserflyrods.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 17, 2010 01:13PM

CTS will def have what you want. Or - I just bot an 8'6", 3pc 11wt Gatti (FR8611-3PA) that will knock your sox off.
Gatti goes up to #15 in that series. Contact brian at "gatti-usa.com"
Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2010 01:15PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: December 17, 2010 02:18PM

Thanks guys. Bill those meiser blanks look good but way too long if i am reading the spec sheet right. These will be best at 8ft as we are talking use on a boat by lobbing the 14 inch fly 20ft at the most in a bait and switch type deal. Calling it fly fishing is a technicality because of the reel, leader and lure.
Those gatti's look good as far as they go size wise. The batsons just do not get powerful enough.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 17, 2010 04:04PM

Lou,
The Gatti's are brutes - all butt with a fast tip. I am in the process of building it now, but I strapped on some guides and put the reel in my jacket pocket and casted w/o a grip. 90' with blazing line speed. CTS' Revo blank is same type of taper.
Herb

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2010 06:05PM

Talon Graphite has the Cairnton series that are 3 pc fly, high modulus and come in quite a few line wts.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: December 18, 2010 09:21AM

Lamiglas makes a set of heavy powered composite blanks for saltwater use, large diameter spigot ferruled blanks. I've used the 12 wt successfully as travel salmon gear rod blanks, lots of backbone like a good gear blank. They work very well for throwing back to teazed up sailfish etc. I think they only produce the 15 wt still, the 10 and 12 wts are in the discountinued Lamiglas blank section of Mudhole.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: December 18, 2010 04:37PM

If my memory serves me right, G. Loomis made an 8'5" 13/15 and 15/17 Mega about 10 years ago. May be worth a poke around with some old-school vendors....These blanks had much backbone...I used the 13/15 for Halibut here in AK.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster