I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Crosswrap Question
Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: December 15, 2010 09:14PM

Ive got Billys book,and am confused on a sparkler wrap spacing.The book has spacing charts but Im not sure I understand exactly.What I have decided is my spacing between c-d should be 1/2 of a-b ,before the width of the center band is added to the center pattern. Is that right?Maybe simpler what Im saying is,if I want my center closing band to be say for example 1mm, I make my a-b , 5mm, my c-d would work at 2 mm. Now Im really confused.lol Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crosswrap Question
Posted by: larry basilio (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 15, 2010 09:37PM

Bruce, I think you should talk to billy

Date: December 15, 2010 09:52PM

Larry I just hate to bother him with minor stuff like this .Hes a very busy man.He will probably check in after while.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 09:56PM by Bruce Kemp.

Posted by: Leigh Englehart (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2010 09:56PM

that seems right to me.

leigh englehart
deltona, Fl

Posted by: Steve Zayas (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 16, 2010 07:46AM

For the sparkler pattern just increase the space for a and b. 2mm will give you a eight thread band. so 1mm on each side of the center mark, then use the chart for the other measurements dont add anything to the other spaceing,and the second layout thread is measured from first not the center of the pattern. another good thing to do also is in the back of the book it has a chart for in and out patterns,this where it tells you to measure the center of wrap diamater and tells you how many passes to do. Its a good guide so you know how many passes to do on a certain sized blank so the pattern is not too big or small.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 16, 2010 09:50PM

Using the spacing chart in the back of the book - add 1 or 2mm's to th spacing between A & B. SImple as that. THat should leave with with 4-8 thrads to fill in th center of each pattern.

What Steve wrote is correct, although it might t be clear, I gave as simpl of an answer as I could. Please follow up with more Q's if anyone has any, I want to hlp as much as I can.

PS - I wrote an article in the last Rodmaker Mag on The Sparkler pattern

Date: December 16, 2010 11:27PM

Thanks guys I got it now.What I didnt know was how much to add for my closing band.I could see from the chart numbers my center was gonna close at the same time as my outside if I didnt add to my initial layout and made the same number of passes.So I add whatever amount I want my closing band to be to the a-b measurement in the book.Correct? Thanks everyone for your time.

Date: December 17, 2010 12:05AM

Pay attention when you are packing. YOu will b paking A & B OUT away from the open space in th middle. So make sure you leave the same amount of space for each repeat so when you add that final band it fits wihtout any overlap.

Date: December 17, 2010 12:07AM

BTW - please continue to post all Q's on this forum, I always check and I will make sure to give you th info you need > just post a pic when your done.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster