I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Wrap Color Recommendation (Need help quickly)
Posted by: Matt Seymore (173.19.70.---)
Date: December 15, 2010 02:01AM

Hey guys, I'm about to start a build on a St. Croix 3SW76MHF. The color of the blank is "copper pearl." I'm trying to figure out what would be a good thread wrap color on this rod. I don't typically use NCP thread. I just use regular thread. Will probably use ProWrap or Gudebrod. In the ProWrap I was considering the Burnt Orange, Copper, Chestnut, or maybe even regular Brown. Any thoughts? I'm under a bit of a deadline on this, so the quicker the help the better!!

Thanks
Matt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Wrap Color Recommendation (Need help quickly)
Posted by: Nuno Paulino (---.cpe.netcabo.pt)
Date: December 15, 2010 04:19AM

It seams that you are in a good track. The Copper or Burnt Orange with a white trim wrap looks good. I did that in a recent build.
Abraço

Nuno

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: December 15, 2010 09:08AM

Perfect timing. I just got the 3SW70HF and was wondering what color to use too. I have never been big on earth tones and don't have any brown or green thread.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Bob Firebaugh (---.csp-wy.client.bresnan.net)
Date: December 15, 2010 09:32AM

[colorschemedesigner.com] Good site to assist in color selection.

Posted by: Bob Caulkins (---.doc.wa.gov)
Date: December 15, 2010 10:19AM

Maybe my eye is off, but I would be interested in a combo like a garnet, or a candy apple red with gold trim. Then again I I still don't know if skinny ties are still cool either.

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: December 15, 2010 10:36AM

I have the prowrap burnt orange right in front of me. I'd describe it as "dirty tangerine".

Orange and white or red and black would work for colors.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2010 12:43PM

Matt,
Go with a blank matchin color for the main wraps. Do some test wraps and then brush on alcohol to see the final color.
Use a white, or copper metallic or silver metallic for trim.

A great color, so you have quite a few choices. With the copper - even a yellow - if left bright would be a nice contrasting trim.

Also, with either brown or copper, green makes a very nice contrasting color.

Roger

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: December 15, 2010 01:03PM

I always wondered why St. Croix put a coating on. Given that removal voids warranty one has to ask if it makes a big difference in durability.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Matt Seymore (---.mobileda.state.al.us)
Date: December 15, 2010 04:00PM

Thanks for the help guys!!! Making this rod for my boss who is retiring this year and need to have this and another rod done for the Christmas/retirement party. I love these copper-colored blanks!! Lamiglas made a Rogue River series that was an awesome green color that I really liked, as well. I like natural graphite but it is refreshing to build on the colored blanks.

Posted by: David Boyle (---.dsl.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 17, 2010 02:25PM

Simple tool for testing some thread colour combos:
[www.tightwraps.com]

Regards
Dave Boyle
www.threadcentral.net

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster